Add to GuideAsk a Question
To Top

Will My Child Receive SSI?

Childs cupped hands holding coins
Supplemental Security Insurance (SSI) is typically awarded to children from low income families if they are blind or have disabilities. This is a guide about "Will my child receive SSI?".


Ask a QuestionHere are the questions asked by community members. Read on to see the answers provided by the ThriftyFun community or ask a new question.

By 2 found this helpful
April 12, 2011

My ex passed away March 14th. We have 2 children together. My question is are they eligible to receive SSI benefits? One of the children is his biologically, but the other one was fathered by someone else.


My ex was the only dad he has ever known, he's even got his last name. I also have the paper they give you at the hospital, when a child is born for the father to sign, saying the child is theirs without a doubt. He signed that saying our son was his. I have several witnesses that can say he claimed him as being his son.

However, his name isn't on either birth certificate because a nurse at the hospital after the delivery, told me that if we added his name he would be responsible for the hospital bills. I knew we couldn't afford that so I left it as unknown. Will this matter?

By Cindy

Answer Was this helpful? 2
April 13, 20110 found this helpful
Best Answer

This is a link to the Social Security site:

http://www.ssa.  n/ww&os2.htm

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

December 18, 20120 found this helpful

My son's father recently passed away at 35 yrs. My son is 14 and his father was behind on his child support payments. Will my son be entitled to any benefits? We were never married, but his name is on the birth certificate.

By Alice

Answer Was this helpful? Yes
December 19, 20120 found this helpful
Best Answer

Yes, your son should be entitled to SS benefits. Make an appointment with the SS dept. Bring the childs birth certificate with you.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
December 20, 20120 found this helpful
Best Answer

Yes, your son will be entitled to benefits so indeed visit your local Social Security office. They will give you an application to fill out and ask for a few assorted documents to be attached to the application including your son's birth certificate and his father's death certifcate. Be sure to keep photocopies of the application and copies of all attached application documents. Also, be sure to keep all correspondence (from them and copies of yours to them) in a file folder for safe keeping in case needed in the future for backup.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
December 26, 20120 found this helpful
Best Answer

Don't hesitate to contact the Social Security Administration via their national toll free number! Their agents are there to answer your questions.

You may even want to make an appointment with a lawyer to see what recourse is available to you. The first visit is always free as far as I know.

Best of luck!

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

May 21, 20110 found this helpful

My son is 2 years old and his father has just passed. What benefits can I receive for him?

By Kanequa B. from NC

Answer Was this helpful? Yes
May 22, 20110 found this helpful
Best Answer

You can contact the Social Security Administration (there should be one listed in your local phone book), or check online. SSI is for people who are disabled, you are needing to ask about survivors/dependents benefits.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
May 23, 20110 found this helpful
Best Answer

Here is the SSA link to give you the information you need for your son:

But you also need to read additional survivor information at this link to make sure you/your son meet all of the rules of qualification:

If you and your son qualify be sure to have everything prepared as best as you can and take it to your local social security office to apply.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

By 0 found this helpful
January 15, 2012

I'm 17 years old. My father died when I was 3 years old and I'm not able to receive his benefits because he did not sign my birth certificate. He was in jail, so therefore the SSI said I can't receive his benefits. They said I needed his parents' signature; then they said I needed some kind of paper saying he is my father. The only paper I have saying he is my farther is an obituary; will that work or what can I do?


By Jamieca

Answer Was this helpful? Yes
January 17, 20120 found this helpful
Best Answer

If your fathers DNA is not available you can still have a DNA test done if he has any living parents or siblings. The money will not go to you but rather to the caregiver you live with to help pay for the costs of housing you. I doubt it is retroactive however. I believe the rule is still intact that as long as you're going to school they (the caregiver) will receive the money until you turn 23 and continue living with them.

It is also possible that if your father was young enough and/or had been in jail a long time that he had never even paid enough into Social Security for any benefits to go into effect so weigh the cost of a DNA test, whether you will continue going to school after high school and the amount of money that might even be received by your caregiver before spending the money and effort for the test and further applications to Social Security.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes


ThriftyFun is one of the longest running frugal living communities on the Internet. These are archives of older discussions.

April 12, 20110 found this helpful

My ex-husband revives disability SSI and I found out that our daughter is eligible for benefits as well. He doesn't want that for her and says that he is going to call and have it stopped. So my question is, can he do that? Can he have those benefits taken away from her?

By Teresa from Dallas, GA


Will My Child Receive SSI?

Pardon my bluntness, but your husband is a jerk for wanting to deny this child the payments that she's entitled to. Asking us isn't the solution, because we're not experts. Definitely call your local Social Security office and explain the situation. Ask them what you can do to protect your daughter. If they don't/won't give you an honest answer, there are plenty of Social Security attorneys out there who work for a commission, no upfront money necessary.

Best of luck! (08/27/2010)

By WildIrish

Will My Child Receive SSI?

Is your daughter disabled in order to qualify for SSI and does your total income qualify? Or will she be receiving it because her Dad gets it? The only thing I have heard of in a case like that is that the parent receiving disability has to pay child support out of the disability. If your "ex" would pass away then she would receive survivor's benefits. Call your social security office and find out for sure. (08/28/2010)

By redhatterb

Will My Child Receive SSI?

Personally I would say if she's disabled go for it. The person who applies is the only person who can take it away other than SSI! If your child doesn't need it and you are well off I would say just leave it be. There are a lot of people who abuse SSI all the time I think it should only be for people who really can't support themselves! Good luck! (08/28/2010)

By str82eternity

Will My Child Receive SSI?

You shouldn't need a lawyer to collect the SS income for your daughter. The Social Security people have all the facts and will work for your benefit as they are very helpful. Just provide them with the info they will need to start the checks, what child can't use additional income for a better lifestyle (just use it wisely).

And while you're at it, if you were married to your ex for at least 10 years, you're entitled to collect Social Security money anytime from age 62 to 66 from income he made for last 30 yrs of highest income earnings! It doesn't hurt to know these things in advance. (By the way, it doesn't matter if at the time you collect, if he's dead or alive: although if he's dead, it's a lot more money, go figure!). It won't affect his collecting SS, but you're entitled to it, too. "Nice!" :D

However, if the jerk didn't earn that much and your amount turns out to be more, then you wouldn't bother with his. This applies to any husband you've been married to for 10 years, Social Security goes by the husband who made the most amount of money for you. Know their name, date and place of birth and SS # if you have it. Have copies of marriage and divorce for each one. (09/01/2010)

By Iluv2craft

Will My Child Receive SSI?

Don't ask people who don't know. See all the different answers just on this site? Call the SS and ask them. Normally when a person gets disability they ask if the person has any dependents. Since this man seems like a jerk he might say no. Call the SS and tell them what you told this list and they will see that your child gets not only SS, but the health care that goes with it. If his claim has not gone in yet, check back until you find out what is going on with it. SS makes a point to see that those who are entitled get their benefits. (09/01/2010)

By Lilac

Will My Child Receive SSI?

If your husband/ex-husband doesn't want his child to benefit from his SSI, shame on him! If she doesn't want the money, it could be put in a high-yield savings account for a financial cushion. A couple of hundred dollars a month, even at the ridiculously-low rates financial institutions offer today, will yield some fair interest.

Like others, I encourage you to contact the Social Security Administration. You may also mention the SSI thing to your local child support office.
Interestingly, my current husband named my children from my first marriage as his dependents. For a short time until they turned 18, each received a Social Security check in their own name. Wish I could say they'd saved it! (09/02/2010)

By JustPlainJo

Will My Child Receive SSI?

I would call the SS office but I think the only way that he can have that stopped is to have his stopped. I do not understand why he would not want her to have it. My sister and I received it when our dad passed away and it would have paid through college. (09/06/2010)

By soccermom83

Comment Was this helpful? Yes

August 27, 20100 found this helpful

Will my child whose father receives SSI or SSD receive monthly payments of her own?

Ruth from OH


Will My Child Receive SSI?

Yes, I believe your child is entitled to Social Security until the age of 18. Even then the child can receive it if they go to college. Please contact your local Social Security Office. Good luck. (01/30/2009)

By Carol in PA

Will My Child Receive SSI?

Yes, if the father is receiving disability. The child will receive 1/2 the amount of the father. If dad gets 1000 the son gets 500. I don't know how SSI works. Hope this is helpful. (01/30/2009)

By Rebecca

Will My Child Receive SSI?

SSI is based on need. If your household (the household where the child lives) is above a certain amount, your child won't qualify. You should contact your local Social Security office to find out.
Best to you! (01/30/2009)

By JustPlainJo

Will My Child Receive SSI?

Our daughter received Social Security because she was under 18 when her dad retired. It could continue until the completion of college in some cases. Social Security determined that she was legally disabled at age 18 (physical and mental handicaps). To get her SSI she had to have less than $2000 in assets (set up a trust fund if needed for the excess). She did not qualify for SSI at first because I didn't understand fully what her Social Security expenses could be used for. You need to document that the child is spending his/her share of utilities and food before SSI can be awarded. Be also aware that whoever is the child's Social Security "guardian" will have to file annual reports on how the monies were spent, so keep receipts. (01/30/2009)

By Nell's Mom

Will My Child Receive SSI?

Yes, your child or children would receive SSD if your husband gets it but it is not half the amount. I'm not sure how they calculate it. My husband is disabled and gets $569 a month (after Medicare expenses) and our son gets $145.00. We had another baby and I asked about money for him, but they said they would just split the $145 between both kids until the older one turns 18 and then the baby will get all of it. (01/31/2009)

By Cindy S.

Will My Child Receive SSI?

She would not receive SSI as that is based on need, but would require her to be disabled (as well as meeting the $2000 limit in assets/resources). If the father receives SS benefits based on retirement or disability, she would receive benefits as the child of a retired/disabled parent. If the father only receives SSI (but not retirement or disability), she would not be eligible for benefits. The difference between SSI and SSD is that SSD is based on whether or not you worked and paid in, whereas SSI is not. The amount a child receives from the disabled parent's claim is determined by how much the parent draws. If there is more than one child, the child amount is split between the children. Once you contact SSA and provide proof of relationship (daughter), they will let you know what she qualifies for. Hope this helps. (02/01/2009)

By gonecrazyhunting

Will My Child Receive SSI?

My children received SSD benefits when their father became disabled and after he died, up to the age of 18. There is not a provision for SSD benefits after age 18, even if they go to college. Benefits terminate at the age of 18 or at the end of their post-secondary education (which is high school, not college). (02/04/2009)

By Belzin

Comment Was this helpful? Yes
Related Content
In This Guide
Social Security Survivor Benefits
Receiving Social Security Survivor Benefits
Business and Legal Legal General AdviceSeptember 27, 2016
Childs Car Seat
Decorating a Child's Car Seat
Last will and testament document.
Does Receiving Inheritance Affect SSI?
Family law folder on desk
Can SSI Be Garnished for Child Support?
A disabled student studying in a wheelchair.
Child Support for a Child Receiving Disability
Back to School Ideas!
Summer Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Desktop Page | View Mobile

Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us

© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Published by .

Generated 2017/08/10 08:14:23 in 2 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️
Loading Something Awesome!