Removing Odor From Clothing Left in Washer

All of my towels have that smell of when you leave them in the washer too long. (I did that). I can't get the smell out. I have tried with vinegar and bleach even though they are colored. I will have to get new ones if I can't get the stink out. When you dry yourself off, you smell then. Please any ideas?

By Maria from WI

Please try Baking soda in the wash. Let it soak for 20 minutes. A shot of Febreeze when they are dry wouldn't hurt!

Best wishes!

The magic word is baking soda. Soak the towels in your regular laundry soap and add 1/2 to 3/4 cup of soda. Maybe soak them for 1/2 hour. I hope it helps you.

Done that! Washed them in HOT water and dishwasher soap, the powder or 2 tabs. I used double the amount for one dishwasher load and it got the smell out! I used lemon scented dishwasher soap and now they smell like lemon! It HAS to be dishwasher soap, not just dish soap. Good luck!

Something that is color safe and fabric safe is Pine Sol. I will add 1/8 to 1/4 cup of lavender or spring flowers scented Pine Sol to the wash to deodorize and disinfect laundry that has a "sour" smell to it. I've done it with excellent results and NO DAMAGE to the laundry.

I use 20 Mule Team Borax, pine cleaner along with my regular detergent and run one full cycle. Then I rinse a second time with fabric softener, smells wonderful when it comes out of the dryer.

Try ammonia... I know it sounds weird, because it is stinky on its own, but I swear it works and your clothes do not smell like ammonia when they are done. Also safe on clothes... treat similar to bleach.

please answer this question i need help i left cloth in washer an i can't get the sour odor out

Woman crouched in front of a front loading dryer smelling a shirt
Removing Odors From Clothing That Was Left in the Washer
Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsNovember 14, 2010
Cigarette Left Burning in Ashtray
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Leather
Man in Green Shirt Smelling His Underarm
Preventing Underarm Odor
Removing Mothball Odor from Washing Machine
Windshield wiper tip on windshield
Homemade Windshield Washer Fluid