AdviceDogs

Cleaning Up After a Shedding Dog

My chocolate lab, Wrigley, is now 6 months old and he sleeps inside our bathroom at night. When morning comes, we open the bathroom door and there is TONS of dog hair covering our tile floor! This is EVERY morning. He jumps on the bed shortly afterwards and even though he's there for only a few minutes, he leaves behind massive piles of brown hair on our bed.

Luckily, we have one of those robotic vacuums (Roomba, a mother's day gift and I HIGHLY recommend them to everyone. They are MUCH better than a standard vacuum!) and I can just turn that on in the bathroom and it will be a hairless floor in 15 minutes.

But, if there is any way possible that I can find an easier way to clean all this hair off my bed OR to keep him from shedding so much, please let me know. Thanks in advance!

jojo

I have "put up with" a cocker spaniel in our house for the last 11 years. Thankfully she was a few years old when we got her. But the black hair...light and fluffy, blows to the corners of the rooms, and on light colored kitchen and bathroom floors really shows up. I find that when I shave her down, there is not as much hair everywhere in the house (because her hair is only 1/4 inch long then).

The only way I have found to keep the hair out of the house has been to "kick" her outside. When the temperatures here (in Manitoba, Canada) get to 40F or higher, out she goes. Right now, she is out for the day but later she will be outside for most of the summer here on our acreage. Then I don't have to sweep and vacuum the house nearly as often.

I feel for you....only you have many more years ahead of you since yours is only 6 months old. We hopefully only have a few more years left of hair in the house.

Can you make your bed "off limits" for him? Would bathing him or brushing him often help gather some of the hair? What about a dog house in a dog run instead of loose in the house? (Our new dog is a chow chow that WILL live outside all year round and once the cocker is gone and our 14 year old cat...no more hair in the house. ) Have you talked to the people you bought the dog from and asked them what they have done about the "hair problem" over the years? After all, they have raised the same kind of dogs.

Dog (and cat) hair in the house...means hair on your clothes, in the corners of the rooms and under the furniture...hair floating into the cupboards in the kitchen, and just a lot more effort and time on your part to clean your home.

Could he just be stressed out in there by himself all night? I have a cat who sheds gobs of hair every time he's scared and especially during trips to the vet. He makes tons of hair on the vet's examining table and at first I was kind of embarrassed for him, but they said it was normal if the animal is scared or upset. Also, it's spring, so all the animals are shedding more than usual right now. Try brushing him frequently. You could spread an old sheet on the bed so Wrigley can get hair and dirt on the old sheet and not the good bed linens. My friend trained his cat only to sit on "his" sheet and not the rest of the bed. Also, some people have said quality of food makes a difference.

Dog hair can be aggravating but you can help control it. Be sure to brush your dog daily. Do it outside. If the dog mainly likes being on your bed, then spread an old sheet on it or better yet an old blanket. Blankets seem to attract dog hair. You might try putting an old blanket down in the bathroom floor too. Just a thought.

try a shedder blade. petsmart should sell it. just brush it over the dog several times a week till you see how much is needed. it takes out alot of the shedding hair.

Brush him a LOT, I find it very relaxing brushing our dogs while sitting and watching tv with the family at night. Also there is a product called Shed-X at pet stores that helps a lot. Good luck!!

I used to have a white great dane and black carpet!...petsmart had something to put in the dog food to help with shedding, which helped a little...but the best and cheapest thing to do is to brush your dog daily outside...it's good for their coat anyways...

There are vitamins that help to reduce shedding and promote healthy skin and coat. My Schipperke sheds like crazy and has skin allergies every summer. I started giving her a multi-vitamin and a seperate tablet that is bought at local grocer called Brewers Yeast with Garlic. It has worked wonders and the allergies are practically gone. We were going to the vet monthly for cortisone shots and we haven't been on over 2 years.

We had the same problem with Ginger, our Golden Retriever mix. A beautiful dog, but she was driving us nuts with her shedding. We tried a new tool, the FURminator - it is awesome. We liked it so much we became a distributor and started our own website. http://www.FURminatoronline.com is where we sell the same tool. You can read about it and even buy one! If you don't buy it from us, buy one, they are awesome.

Anonymous

My wood and tile floors look like they are growing a beard! Everywhere I see little 'wisps' of dog hair. Some are peeking out from under the furniture, some are trying to hide in the corners but I know they are there!!! When I put in new air conditioner filters, they are completely covered in dog hair!!! I know it sounds like I never clean and you would think I have a sheep dog but I don't. I have a short haired German Shepherd who is now shedding like mad. I brush him every day and it helps but it won't stop until Spring. I just break out the vacuum and do the best I can.

I have a coffee cup that reads: "Coffee is better with hair in it"

Hi I have a 2yr old black lab, it seems like my house floors are growing hair, and my bed has to be change every day. I brush my dog once a day and get 3 to 4 brushes of hair off of him. My kitchen floor is white, and I bet sweep 2 cups of hair a day he is healthy vet check, and is well taken care of. He is spoiled and sleeps in the bed, and on the couch. Is there something I should do or try an it seems like he scratches a lot? Help with any info.