Reducing Your Cat's Shedding

Category Cats
Shedding is a normal process of getting rid of dead hair. Unless there is a medical reason causing excess shedding, there are some things you can do to reduce your cat's shedding. This is a guide about reducing your cat's shedding.

I help out at my local humane society, especially with the cats. Because the cats are often from abusive homes, or are very scared to be in the shelter, they shed non stop! Brushing does no good, since cat hair is so fine that most brushes don't pick it up. Right now there is one white cat that sheds so much, after I'm done petting her I am literally covered head to toe with hair!

The cats are too traumatized for anything like a bath, but they also are less likely to be adopted if they shed so bad that you can't see straight. Does anyone know a good way to help rid this white cat of all the extra hair? I've been trying a wet paper towel before I pet her just to remove all the extra hair, but it only helps a tiny bit. I cannot afford any expensive brush or potion from the store, and neither can the shelter. There must be a simple, homemade way to get this extra hair off of th cat, and me! Any help?

Aysha from Boise, Idaho

Answers

A damp terry cloth towel might help. You could also try dryer sheets. Good luck!

Are you sure there isn't a health or nutritional problem involved? That sounds like an awful lot of shedding, compared to the similarly stressed-out cats you deal with.

Call your vet and ask. They won't charge you to answer questions like that. He may have a good answer for you.

I have read that cleaning gloves will take it off of your furniture. Maybe you could try petting her with the gloves on. Although, I'm not too sure that wouldn't pull her hair. For your furniture, you just put on the gloves and wipe down the furniture. The hair rolls right off.

I have a furminator for my dog which works great. They have one for a cat too. Maybe this would work.

This is what I would do buy some treats from the store and get an old comb and while the cat is eating just comb her and make sure you have a small trash can with you. When I am on the potty (small trailer with a hubby and daughter and dog) Titus likes it is the bathroom litter box is their and so in food and she likes to sit in the bathtub and stare at the dog). Anyway I just comb her and doesn't botter at all.

Visit your local beauty supply for a wig comb, which has teeth of varying lenghts that are spaced close together. Very effective in removing excess loose hair and many kitties really like how the comb feels.

Buy a plastic 25 cent comb normally used for humans. It should work well.

I am taking care of my aunt's cat while she is in rehab from a car accident. She will be there for another 2 months at least. This cat sheds like crazy! I brush her every-other-day and I get a huge pile of fur and there is still more to get off. It's like it's never-ending. There is cat fur all over her home and it's just too much to spend every day there cleaning her place. Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

By Kat