Removing Pet Hair from Furniture

Category Furniture
Pet hair can be quite a nuisance and can be difficult to remove from fabric or microfiber couches, chairs, and other furniture. This is a guide about removing pet hair from furniture.

Removing pet hair from any cloth surface is easy if you use a damp washcloth. Wipe cushions or clothing in one direction only and the hair will lift off. You can also try a damp sponge mop to remove pet hair from your carpets. Again wipe in one direction only and the hair will just pile up and can be easily picked up by hand.

Source: Dog Fancy Magazine

By Teri from Tionesta, PA

To remove pet hair, use a plastic gloves from the dollar store, 10 pair for $1.00. Place one glove on your hand. Sweep the area with the glove. Hair will all ball up and be easy to pick up. Reuse the glove as many times as you need to. I have 5 cats and one Chihuahua. It works great!

Source: I got this tip from Martha Stewart.

By Tamsy from TX

A rubber window washing squeegee attached to a long pole is an excellent way to pull pet hair from carpets. I have two in different widths. The narrow one does stair treads and can be used to reach confined spaces, the wide one makes short work of the open areas. I've a third one for furniture.

Source: My brilliant husband!

To remove cat hair from your furniture, take a damp sponge and brush it one way across the fabric. It helps ball up the hair and you can pick it off the sponge.

A dry sponge, such as those designed for kitchen use or for washing a car, is an excellent magnet for pet hair on upholstered furniture. Just rub the sponge across the furniture and pet hair clings to it like magic. All you have to do is wipe the hair off of the sponge and store the sponge with your cleaning supplies. One sponge will last a very long time. Keep the sponge easily accessible for a quick cleaning when unexpected company arrives.

By VeronicaHB from Asheboro, NC

I was mopping my wood floors one day and discovered this tip by accident. When I was through mopping, I noticed excess hair on the sofa and edges of the couch. I grabbed my somewhat damp mop (I mean very lightly damp) and took it across all of the fabric, seat cushions, corners, and back of the couch were the cats seem to fit.

To my amazement, it took the hair right off. It can save a lot of expense from using the pet hair rollers especially made for this use. Just use your hands for easy hair removal from the sponge. Discard in the trash can. Happy cleaning!

By Kathy from Harrisonburg, VA

Use 2 inch duct tape or masking tape. Either wrap the tape backwards around your hand or lay out a strip 6 to 12 inches and place on what area you want to remove the hair. After a few strip removals, replace the tape when it won't pick up any more.

By Tommy from Dudley, MA

To remove pet hair from all upholstery try a stiff scrub brush. The brush picks up the fur, remove it from brush and go again. A lot cheaper than anything else I've ever used.

Vacuum each section thoroughly to remove as much of the loose pet hair and dander as possible. Simply attach the upholstery attachment and suction the hair from the surface. This also helps to remove the pet dander that falls off with the fur.

How do I get dog hair off furniture?

By jsclgreen from CA

Answers

My fur baby sheds like no tomorrow. A friend of mine runs a house cleaning business and she uses a rubber glove. Put it on, rub in different directions and viola! instant fur remover. Works great on my carpet areas where Panda lays the most.

A dampened terrycloth rubbed in circular motion will tangle loose fur into balls and are easily removed.

You could use a cover over furniture to keep from working into the fabric and launder when necessary and the dryer removes loose fur that doesn't wash out.

As keeper60 said "...and she uses a rubber glove. Put it on, rub in different directions and viola! instant fur remover." Works like a charm. I use regular old bright yellow cleaning gloves.

I use the sticky roller and it works really well, but, if the rubber glove works, it would be much cheaper! Hope you get it cleaned up and God bless you.

It also depends upon the type of fabric you have. Something with a weave is harder to get hair off of because the hairs always seem to get woven in. Smooth fabrc like quality microfiber or non-woven types like velour respond to the methods mentioned by other posts.

How do I remove cat hair that is deeply embedded throughout a couch, in the seams & everywhere. The couch is high grade aniline Leather. I bought the set at a garage sale. It had been stored/uncovered in a barn for a year. It looks great, but there is cat hair everywhere and my vacuum isn't getting it all. It's really sticking to the cloth sections that connect the seat and back cushions together (cushions are NOT removable). Help! I can't bear to bring it into the house unless it's hairless & odorless too!

Cristy from Molalla, OR

Answers

Use a clean, stiff-bristled scrub brush. Scrub awhile, pull the hair off the brush, and continue.
I've found this works much better and faster than any vacuum.

Try masking tape or a lint roller. The hair sticks to the tape, and won't harm the leather.

Use rubber gloves in conjunction with the vacuum. Put on the rubber glove. Wipe with your hand. The hair will roll in clumps. Vacuum.

Try taking a soft hair brush, (the old-fashioned kind with the bristles close together & fairly soft work best) And simply "Brush" your couch, seams & all... This should work. I also use a 6 inch "Scrub brush" (the type used for household chores) with sturdy/stiff bristles from the dollar store to "brush" up cat hair from my furniture. A brush will get into groves & smaller places where tape wont. Clean the brush often (with a comb) while you are doing this or the cat hair will go right back onto the couch. Finish with duct tape or contact paper when you are done "brushing" your couch.

You can also try one of those hand held small contraptions with rollers that roll together that remind you of the old stand up "Bissell sweepers"... but they only work on the high spots, for the small groves, you'll need a small child's hair brush or a toothbrush for the REALLY small areas. Be sure any brush you use is soft enough so as to not scratch the leather.

I use a rubber sponge made specifically for this purpose. They are available in the pet supply section at most grocery stores (I got mine at Meijer), and at Pet stores. It looks sort of like a brick, but is made of dense rubber material. You just rub it across the area and it rolls up all the pet hair so that you can pick it up and throw it away. Works great on decorative rugs and furniture.

Thanks so much for the wonderful response from everyone. I am trying them all! I really like the "toothbrush" tip. since the cushions do not remove, this will be the easiest to get down between the cushion and the arm of the couch. I also bought one of those rubber brushes. I haven't been back out to finish the job yet because of kids (5 of them) and school volunteer stuff. plan on getting back to it today sometime. Thanks a bunch everyone!

I use a rubber sponge made specifically for this purpose too. I have 4 cats and use rubber dish washing gloves to clean my sofa and chairs. The hair rolls up fairly well and I just keep rubbing till its all off. Good Luck!

One word: duct tape. Cut strips of duct tape and lay the sticky side down on the material, pushing the page gently with your fingers. Pull off and voila! On to the next strip...This works great when company is coming.

I use an atachment that fits onto a vacuum cleaner pipe. Its called "Seathog" does the job fine.
Hope this helps!

What is the best way to get dog and cat hair off of my clothes, the furniture, etc.?

By Susan P.

Answers

Use a damp sponge, wiping in one direction only. Works great.

Wide masking tape or duct tape. Roll around your fingers and dab your clothes.

Use a link roller! Works like a dream.

Put on a rubber glove, slightly damp works great.

We bought a royal blue couch at a thrift store, and it seems to be made of wool or some similar fabric. The problem is that I have two dogs and a cat, and the pet hair on that solid color is very noticeable (our previous couch was leather, and I didn't have to do anything to keep dog hair off of it).

I am looking for tips on how to keep this couch looking good. I have tried the the pet hair lint roller thingies, but I go through so many of those sticky sheets per day and still don't seem to get all the hair off. I feel like I need to do something else to get the majority of the pet hair off and then maybe finish off the job with a pet hair/lint roller. I also tried a wet sponge, which was great at getting the pet hair off, but small pieces of the sponge were being left on the couch, which I then had to try to remove. It just seems that there's got to be a better way than what I am doing. Got any suggestions?

By Tina

Answers

What works for me is a rubber glove. Simply put the glove on your hand and brush the hair off the couch. We only have one short-haired dog, and it works great for us. Hope it works for you, too!

We've all had problems with the hateful cat hair spread all over the house especially at sofas, chairs and pillows. And it's hard to eliminate them!

A little bit by accident, I found a good way to eliminate them without great effort and very effectively. And just going to need one tool: latex gloves.

Just put on some latex gloves and pass your hand over the surface that has the cat's hair. This will form a "ball" helping the removal process and making it easier and faster.

By Orquidea from Porto, Portugal

What is the best way to remove pet hair from leather furniture that has a lot of static cling?

By Aspen from Denver, CO

Answers:

Cleaning Pet Hair From Furniture and Floors

Try using a slightly damp paper towel or the brush attachment on your vacuum cleaner. I have a vinyl couch and both of those work really well. (03/26/2010)

By pinkmellie59

Use a dryer sheet. (03/27/2010)

By Phillip

To quickly remove pet hair from your upholstered furniture. Slip on a surgical glove (you can find them at the Dollar store) and rub the hair briskly in a circular motion. It will gather up and you can remove it by picking it up or take a piece of wide shipping tape, and use that to pick it up once you have gathered it together with the glove.

By Harlean from AK

Answers:

Removing Pet Hair from Clothing

To get pet hair off carpet, clothes, etc., try using a rubber glove. It's a great hair and lint remover. If the hair still won't come off, then try a slightly damp towel and "scrub" the rug with circular motions. A lot of hair comes up then.

By Lisa T. (09/30/2004)

By ThriftyFun

Animal Hair Pickup

If you have a dog or cat that leaves hair all over your furniture, don't worry. All you have to do is dip a sponge in some warm water mixed with a small amount of glycerin and wipe it across the areas. It will take the hair right off.

By Robin (01/27/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Pet Hair

If you have pets in the house and are having a problem with pet hair on the furniture take a damp washcloth and wipe the furniture down, this will remove the pet hair.

By Flanagan
(03/28/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Remove Pet Hair From Furniture and Clothing

To remove pet hair from clothing or furniture, rub article with clean fabric softener sheets. This removes hair and also brings a great smell to the article.

By Rose (10/03/2005)

By ThriftyFun

What is the best way to clean up pet hair off wood floors and leather furniture without just moving in around into the air to settle back later? I was told that the Dirt Devl Broom Vac was the way to go. Does any one have any suggestions other than putting the pets outside.

Wendy from Wisconsin

Answers:

If you have a dog and a toddler, I'm sure you are extremely busy if your life is anything like mine. I have 3 dogs in the house as well as 2 cats, who of course, all shed. I bought the Roomba Discovery Robot Vac and it is amazing! Someone else told me about it and I figured I would try it, if it didn't work, I'd take it back. I wouldn't part with that thing for anything now! I press the start button in the morning and at night and it runs around the house and cleans for me. Yep! Under the couch, table, chairs, etc. It goes around the dogs and the cats, wont fall down the stairs and does rugs as well as tile/wood/vinyl floors. Once a week I do a good clean in the corners, etc., but this machine keeps my pet hairs to a minimum on the floor so I don't confuse the kids for the pets who used to get so covered in hair it was hard to tell them all apart. (Make sure you get the white/gray one and not the first model which was red). (11/06/2006)

By Lorrie T - Marmora

I have three dogs, two shed terribly. I have wood and tile floors so the hair finds it's way under the furniture and in corners. I use the vacuum cleaner tools to suck up all the hair and dirt that they bring in. I usually see enough hair to pick it up by hand. I don't allow my dogs on the furniture so we don't have that issue. (12/10/2006)

By Anonymous

cleaning pet hair out of carpet

I was tired of the hair in the carpet and looking for other methods of getting the hair out of the carpet. I was actually at Walmart the other day and found this electrostatic rubber brush that you can use on the floor and use it as a brush on the dogs and it picks the hair up really well and its very inexpensive. (01/24/2007)

By Crystal

This post is to Melanie. I just used your trick with Downy fabric softener and water. It worked great. I bought a van off a woman and there was so much dog hair in it I didn't know how I'd clean it. Thanks for the tip (08/11/2007)

By Matthew

Do you own a pair of water walks? They are textured rubber soled slippers you use around the pool or boat. I'm from Florida and we use them for gardening, beaching and biking. They are very inexpensive at places like Walmart, etc. Usually only $3-8.

I wear them when I vacuum and if I have a hair patch that won't vacuum up, I just run my foot over it and the rubber bottoms work like a static rake and pull the hair from the carpet fibers so it can be easily vacuumed up. I promise, it works - AND no more crawling around on hands and knees with a rubber glove. It's good exercise, too! I still use a rubber glove on the furniture which is very effective. And a pet glove daily on the cat. Good luck! (03/11/2008)

By Sheri

Eureka makes a wonderful little (light!) hard floor vacuum called The Boss. It's yellow, and I got it for $20 at Target. I used to use a Swiffer on my wood floor and kitchen, but this sweeps up hear hair so easily. It weighs maybe 3 lbs and compacts down so i can even keep it under the sink. Best thing I ever bought for pet hair! (12/06/2008)

By Corgi Owner

I have three cats that live in our finished basement. We have a sectional sofa that the cat fur sticks to like glue. A vacuum can begin to lift that hair. I tried a shed comb and that still didn't work. Then finally I found the solution to getting that deep down stuck fur out of the fabric. Take a damp rag and rub it vigorously on the fabric. It will lift all the fur. It helps to have a hand held vacuum on your hand when you to it to suck the removed fur up and away. (01/10/2009)

By Bill

We have a German Shepherd mix who sheds horribly all over the carpet and vacuuming just was not picking it all up. I tried using our pin dog brush and it worked wonders on our carpet. (02/12/2009)

By Michelle

Try the "Hairyhog" vacuum cleaner attachment. It's great. Good luck. (02/16/2009)

By dunno

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.

I have a question for anyone who deals with pet hair stuck to the furniture/carpets. How do you pick it up? I have tried the sticky rollers with no luck, I have tried a brush on the carpet and no matter how much I pick up, there are still a lot of hair.