Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Cutting Frozen Meat

I was given a 10 lb. package of turkey breast from a deli. A great gift, but it is frozen solid. What can I use to cut it into smaller size portions? I can't slice it this way and if I thaw it out whole I can't possibly eat it all before it spoils. I thought maybe an electric carving knife. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

By Betty from Post Falls, ID

By Shirley [2]09/10/2009

If you have a chop saw, which I do! I thoroughly clean the blade with steel wool, soap, touch of bleach and water, dry completely...and voila! It has the power to cut thru it easily! I do this with large, beef & pork roasts, which I buy from Costco! thoroughly freeze, then cut into any size portions you wish! I just don't like double freezing meat! Good luck!

By linda lush [67]09/09/2009

The other suggestions are great. Another one is to partially thaw it (for easier cutting), cut into whatever sizes you need, such as chunks for a stew or soup, strips for a stir fry, small cubes or strips to use in a lettuce type salad, allow some for a turkey salad-the type you grind up to make for sandwiches. Once you have your portions, cook your turkey and then can freeze the different 'meals' (mark the bags). Save and freeze some of the broth to use with turkey later. This would work for me as I live alone. If you have a husband and/or family, you will use it up much quicker. Good eating!

By susan winship [4]09/09/2009

Don't use an electric knife, you'll burn it out. Partially defrost the turkey and use your heaviest knife to cut through it in maybe 2# packages. The meat department at a grocery may be able to deal with it frozen, but not the deli department. It would probably kill their slicer too if the meat is frozen. Try to cut it partially frozen, if it's thawed, cut and refrozen, use paper towels to sop up some of the liquid when it's thawed again. You'll get a better result for your dish. Wow, what a gift.

By emmamamie [3]09/09/2009

You CAN re-freeze meat. The easiest way to cut it is to let it thaw until it is still partially frozen. You can cut through it without it being too soft, and cut more even slices. Then just package it again and put it in the freezer. If you like your meat marinated, you can put some of the meat in a marinade right in a ziplock bag and put that in the freezer. Then it is ready to cook for your next meal!

By Pat Phillips [2]09/09/2009

Patty's idea is probably the best, but when I was high school (during the war of 1812) I worked in a restaurant and we used a saw to cut off squares of frozen japanese cod to bread in cornmeal and deep fry to make really good(Fresh) Catfish Steaks! The tourists loved the fresh caught Ozark catfish and my boss made a lot of $!

By Anonymous [848]09/09/2009

I agree with Patty too! And God Bless the deli that gave it to you!

By Myrna [13]09/09/2009

Call your grocery store and see if they would slice your turkey breast for you. There would probably be a small fee for this or perhaps if you shop there a lot, they might do it for you out of courtesy.

By Joan [13]09/09/2009

I would do what Patty suggested. I really like having pre-cooked foods on hand.

By kathleen williams [23]09/09/2009

I agree with Patty, good luck.

By Patricia Eldridge09/09/2009

You could thaw it, cook it and slice it. The divide the slices into meal size portions, wrap them very well and then freeze them. Whenever you want turkey for dinner, you can just pull a package out of the freezer and heat it up.

By Jean [2]09/09/2009

You might be able to cut it with a hacksaw. Just put in a new, clean blade.