Removing Cigarette Smell on Clothes

Cigarette smoke is very pervasive, it can cling to your clothing if you either smoke yourself, work or live with a smoker. This is a guide about removing cigarette smell on clothes.

June 7, 2005 Flag

How do you eliminate cigarette smells from clothes as quickly as possible?

Alex

Best Answer

Try Febreze, it can be sprayed directly to clothes, car, most surfaces. I spray it in the room and it goes to carpet or furniture. Air out clothes, hang on hanger and place in a breezy area on the line or back porch. I used to go to concerts and some clothes were dry clean only so I would hang them out side immediately.

Best Answer

White clothes, rinse with white vinegar. It also helps whiten and gets rid of excess soap.

Best Answer

You can also put them in the electric clothes dryer if you have access to one with a fabric softener sheet on the no-heat setting (mine says "air fluff").

Best Answer

Add a cup of ammonia to the water when laundering clothes - this really eliminates the stale smoke smell.

Best Answer

Wash your clothes with Scope (one capful) and it will get heavy smoke out (we went through a fire and had to wash everything) If it needs to be done right away, any fabric refresher would do (clorox makes a great one, just as safe on fabrics as febreez

A cheap and easy replacement for Febreeze is to fill a spare empty pump dispenser with fabric conditioner (that you would normally use in your washing machine) fill about 2 inches of the bottle then fill the rest up with water. Replace the cap and then give it a good shake. Spray onto your clothes and leave to dry off. Just as good as Febreeze and a cheap bottle of conditioner from my supermarket lasts a long long time!

Best wishes, Monique x UK

I just bought a purse from a seller on ebay. It has a strong odor of smoke. It's leather so it shouldn't be washed, right? What's your ideas?

Another trick for furniture: get that carpet fresh Powder from Arm & Hammer (baking soda essential) but get CINAMMON...both ingredients neutralize smoke (and I mean HEAVY) leave on the couch overnight and vacuum in the morning. We went through an apartment fire and had a lot of smoke and water, and we salvaged everything except our queen bed and table leaves, and some little items due to water.

I have an expensive light colored purse with a red embedded lipstain. What will get that out?

What takes ink out of leather

December 5, 2009 Flag

I need to clean a white dress that has been hanging in my closet and has smoke damage from the fireplace. Any suggestions?

By Josephine from Winterville, GA

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Try using white vinegar in the laundry. This will take out any residue of smoke in the clothes.

Best Answer

We had a house fire and the insurance company sent in the pros in to help us with smoke damage. The first thing they did was hook up a huge ozone machine to remove the smoke smell from the carpeting and furniture. But when it came to clothing and other machine washables, they told us to pour one can of regular Coca-Cola (with sugar, not diet) into the wash with each load and it worked! All of the nasty smoke smell came out of our clothes. This also works with camping clothes and even with clothes from cigarette smokers.

If you can't wash your item in the machine, try Vanilla Febreze. It has a light scent that's not overwhelming. Be sure to spray the front and back then turn the garment inside out & do the front & back again, then hang dry.

If you can get your hands on a good ozone based home air cleaner then that's the ticket! Run the ozone based air cleaner in a small room (like a bath room) with your dress hanging from the shower bar.

I use 1 of 2 things. 1 is a product called Odor Check put out by Watkins. It works like a charm. 2 is Febreze. I use it on every thing including my truck (inside).

Good luck.

There was a family in my church whose house burned and they used Tide with Febreze to wash their clothes after trying other things and said that the Tide with Febreze seemed to work better than anything and really recommended it. You might try that.

I know this works well with cigarette smoke smell, so you can give it a try. If you live in a cold climate you can hang the dress in an unheated garage. The cold will help release the smell that is in the dress.

Take it to the dry cleaners.

My Father-In-Law was a Fire Marshall for five counties in Minnesota. I am sorry I can't remember the tricks he taught me back then (have had 6 strokes) but no one knows better how to remove smoke damage and smells like Firemen or the State Fire Marshall's Office. Give them a call. They are great guys and I'm sure they will have tons of experience and advice. Merry christmas!

Try washing them with BON-CC-41!

http://www.bioworldusa.com/industri ... or-control-bioworld-odor-neutralizer

I add it to my laundry and use it around the house quite a bit!

July 14, 2013 Flag

My mom smokes cigarettes and she a heavy smoker, and when I go out in public my clothes smells horrible. I'm fifteen years old. Can anybody tell what I should do?

By Kay

Tell your mom you love her and want to see her live to meet her grandkids and you don't plan on having kids anytime soon so she needs to get with the program. :) seriously though tell her. She probably doesn't think about it. Tell her you smell like a smoker and you don't want to. Tell her your feelings and ask her to go outside and not smoke in car... Nicotine sticks to anything and can cause major problems for those who don't even smoke.

Sorry but your love for someone cant overcome addiction..easy to say.hard to do

keep your coat separate from where mom smokes my granddaughter mother smokes like a train keep it in a bag and closet away from the traffic of smoke wash with vinegar

Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsJuly 15, 2013
Cigarette Left Burning in Ashtray
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Leather
cigarette smell computer
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors from a Computer
Cigarette Smoke
Removing Cigarette Smoke Smell From a Painting
Cigarette Smoke Odors
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors From a House
🎉
🎄