How much margarine is a "stick"?

Quite a number of recipes call for stick margarine. We can only buy block margarine. Can you tell me what weight is in a stick? Would love to try some of the recipes. Thank you.

By Mary of Lourdes

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By Deanj 04/06/2009

Margarine and butter did and maybe still does come with 4 sticks to a box. So that means 1/4 of the box if the box is not packaged 4 sticks in the box.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By carol 4 81 04/06/2009

1 stick is equivalent to 1/2 cup.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Myrna 15 1,062 04/06/2009

Applying to a one pound box of four sticks margarine (not the whipped type) there are four ounces to each stick. Each stick has 8 Tablespoons.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Chayil 5 72 04/07/2009

In the US, butter is sold in 1-pound blocks or 1-pound boxes containing 4 sticks. One stick = 1/4 pound. In the US, 1 stick = 1/2 cup, but a "cup" in the US is not the same amount as a "cup" in the UK, so don't go by cups. If you want to be completely precise, 1 stick of butter or margarine equals 113 grams.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By deirdrehenry 14 41 04/07/2009

Many thanks for all the responses to my request re stick margarine.
Can now start to try some of the recipies I have put into my cookery file

Again many thanks
Mary of Lourdes

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Louise B. 6 2,508 04/07/2009

I'd just like to comment that I think a cup is cup everywhere -- 8 oz. There is a difference between an American gallon and an Imperial gallon, and, I think quarts and pints, but cups are the same. American quart 32 oz, Imperial 40 oz. 4 quarts in a gallon. Of course, now we in Canada and England use litres and grams, so it is only with old recipes that it makes a difference.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the comments that were provided then.

Archive: How much margarine is a "stick"?

How much margarine is a "stick"? In ounces or grams (both are what my scales measure in) would be most helpful.

Chickybiker from Cambridgeshire, England

RE: How much margarine is a "stick"?

1/2 cup or 8 tablespoons. (02/28/2007)

By mikezwife82

RE: How much margarine is a "stick"?

A stick of butter is 1/2 cup or equal to 4 oz. Butter in the United States is normally sold with 4 sticks per package with a total of 2 cups or 16 oz. (03/01/2007)

By dpcw

RE: How much margarine is a "stick"?

Here is a great site that can convert almost anything. http://www.onlineconversion.com/cooking.htm (03/13/2007)

By phishphan98