How much margarine is a "stick"?

Quite a number of recipes call for stick margarine. We can only buy block margarine. Can you tell me what weight is in a stick? Would love to try some of the recipes. Thank you.

By Mary of Lourdes

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Margarine and butter did and maybe still does come with 4 sticks to a box. So that means 1/4 of the box if the box is not packaged 4 sticks in the box.

1 stick is equivalent to 1/2 cup.

Applying to a one pound box of four sticks margarine (not the whipped type) there are four ounces to each stick. Each stick has 8 Tablespoons.

In the US, butter is sold in 1-pound blocks or 1-pound boxes containing 4 sticks. One stick = 1/4 pound. In the US, 1 stick = 1/2 cup, but a "cup" in the US is not the same amount as a "cup" in the UK, so don't go by cups. If you want to be completely precise, 1 stick of butter or margarine equals 113 grams.

Many thanks for all the responses to my request re stick margarine.

Can now start to try some of the recipies I have put into my cookery file

Again many thanks

Mary of Lourdes

I'd just like to comment that I think a cup is cup everywhere -- 8 oz. There is a difference between an American gallon and an Imperial gallon, and, I think quarts and pints, but cups are the same. American quart 32 oz, Imperial 40 oz. 4 quarts in a gallon. Of course, now we in Canada and England use litres and grams, so it is only with old recipes that it makes a difference.

Answer

How much margarine is a "stick"? In ounces or grams (both are what my scales measure in) would be most helpful.

Chickybiker from Cambridgeshire, England

How much margarine is a "stick"?

1/2 cup or 8 tablespoons. (02/28/2007)

By mikezwife82

How much margarine is a "stick"?

A stick of butter is 1/2 cup or equal to 4 oz. Butter in the United States is normally sold with 4 sticks per package with a total of 2 cups or 16 oz. (03/01/2007)

By dpcw

How much margarine is a "stick"?

Here is a great site that can convert almost anything.

http://www.onlineconversion.com/cooking.htm (03/13/2007)

By phishphan98

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Food and Recipes Food Tips ConversionsApril 5, 2009
macaroons on a stick
Making Cookies on a Stick
Frying Fish Sticks
Homemade Fish Stick Recipes
Stick of Butter
How Many Tablespoons in a Stick of Butter?
Non-Stick Frying Pan
Using Non-Stick Cookware
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 24, 2016 at 6:21:51 PM on 10.0.2.249 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.