How much margarine is a "stick"?

By deirdrehenry 14 41

Quite a number of recipes call for stick margarine. We can only buy block margarine. Can you tell me what weight is in a stick? Would love to try some of the recipes. Thank you.

By Mary of Lourdes

Filter Sort

By Deanj 917 Flag

Margarine and butter did and maybe still does come with 4 sticks to a box. So that means 1/4 of the box if the box is not packaged 4 sticks in the box.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By carol 4 81 Flag

1 stick is equivalent to 1/2 cup.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Myrna 17 1,083 Flag

Applying to a one pound box of four sticks margarine (not the whipped type) there are four ounces to each stick. Each stick has 8 Tablespoons.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Chayil 5 72 Flag

In the US, butter is sold in 1-pound blocks or 1-pound boxes containing 4 sticks. One stick = 1/4 pound. In the US, 1 stick = 1/2 cup, but a "cup" in the US is not the same amount as a "cup" in the UK, so don't go by cups. If you want to be completely precise, 1 stick of butter or margarine equals 113 grams.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By deirdrehenry 14 41 Flag

Many thanks for all the responses to my request re stick margarine.

Can now start to try some of the recipies I have put into my cookery file

Again many thanks

Mary of Lourdes

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Louise B. 6 2,509 Flag

I'd just like to comment that I think a cup is cup everywhere -- 8 oz. There is a difference between an American gallon and an Imperial gallon, and, I think quarts and pints, but cups are the same. American quart 32 oz, Imperial 40 oz. 4 quarts in a gallon. Of course, now we in Canada and England use litres and grams, so it is only with old recipes that it makes a difference.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Archive: How much margarine is a "stick"?

How much margarine is a "stick"? In ounces or grams (both are what my scales measure in) would be most helpful.

Chickybiker from Cambridgeshire, England

Answers:

RE: How much margarine is a "stick"?

1/2 cup or 8 tablespoons. (02/28/2007)

By mikezwife82

RE: How much margarine is a "stick"?

A stick of butter is 1/2 cup or equal to 4 oz. Butter in the United States is normally sold with 4 sticks per package with a total of 2 cups or 16 oz. (03/01/2007)

By dpcw

RE: How much margarine is a "stick"?

Here is a great site that can convert almost anything.

http://www.onlineconversion.com/cooking.htm (03/13/2007)

By phishphan98

Food and Recipes Food Tips ConversionsApril 5, 2009
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
macaroons on a stick
Making Cookies on a Stick
Frying Fish Sticks
Homemade Fish Stick Recipes
Stick of Butter
How Many Tablespoons in a Stick of Butter?
Non-Stick Frying Pan
Using Non-Stick Cookware
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 9, 2016 at 8:16:05 AM on 10.0.2.235 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

AnswersArchives
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings