Substituting Whipped Butter in Recipes

Category Substitutions
A stick of butter, when whipped, will weigh the same (4 oz), but it's volume will be increased. Therefore, when you are substituting whipped butter in recipes it is important to measure by weight.

My mother's recipe for chocolate pound cake calls for 6 sticks of whipped butter. I can only find the whipped butter in 8 oz. tubs. How many tubs of whipped butter will I need to equal 6 sticks of whipped?

By Joyce from Salisbury, NC

Editor's Note: A "stick" of butter equals 1/2 cup

Answers

Best Answer

1 stick of butter = 4 oz. So you would need to buy 3 - 8 oz. tubs of the whipped butter.

Compare prices and see if it would be cheaper to buy the butter and whip it yourself than the whipped butter.

Best Answer

Joyce, I think that is more of a "recipe instruction" than it is a recipe measurement! Should probably read: 6 sticks of butter, whiped

Do you have any way to verify that it means to take 6 sticks of butter, and whip them? That is how I read it.

I often write recipes for family, and try to add notes for situations such as that, where I know what I mean, but it may not be a standard recipe instruction.

I would take it that the recipe meant to take six sticks of butter and whip them.