Tide and Downey Used as a Prewash Stain Treatment Left Brown Stains

I ran out of pre-wash stain remover and used Tide plus a touch of Downy to rub into some stains on my son's cotton, white soccer t-shirt. Unfortunately I let it sit for a couple of hours before washing. When I took the shirt out of the wash it is a light brown color in the areas where I rubbed the Tide. Help!

By Steph from Bulverde, TX

Downey is a fabric softener and was probobly the cause of the stains. I doubt you can get it out now that it has been washed. Good luck!

If the shirt is white cotton, it could be bleached, but I would be worried about the lettering, which it likely has -- a number at least. I agree that Downy was likely the cause of the stain. You should not pour Downy directly on clothes. I have gotten grease-like stains from this myself. Try using a stain remover like Oxi-clean or Shout on the shirt. Treat it like a grease stain.

Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsOctober 21, 2010
Scoop of brown rice. Freezing brown rice.
Freezing Brown Rice
Dogwood tree in spring.
Leaves Turning Brown on Dogwood Tree
Rust stains around tub faucet.
Removing Rust Stains from a Bathtub
Removing Red Wine Stains from Hardwood Floors, Broken glass of red wine on wood floor.
Removing Red Wine Stains from Hardwood Floors
🎄
🍂