Using Accidentally Frozen Raw Potatoes

When raw potatoes have been frozen, they are soft when thawed. They can be cooked right away and used in some dishes. This guide is about using accidentally frozen potatoes.

Frozen Raw Potatoes
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

December 9, 2010 Flag

I have yellow potatoes laying out in my garage and we have 3-4 inches of snow on the ground and they are all frozen. I need to know if I can just keep them frozen and put them in bags and into the freezer. I really don't want to waste them. The cold weather kind of just came on faster then I was expecting.

By Stacey from South-West VA

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I had a sack of potatoes that was left in the car, when they were brought in they started to get soft and because I didn't want to throw them away I put on a kettle of water and cooked them. Because they turned out good I don't see any problem to put yours in the freezer for a short time. I would not let them thaw out before boiling though. I could not tell the difference after they were boiled in their skins. I was so very glad. I hope this helps

Yes, you can just put them in your freezer and take out what you need as needed. It's not really any different than buying already frozen potatoes at the grocery store. Or, you could cook them, mash them for mashed potatoes, and then freeze them in serving sizes and use as needed.

Potatoes frozen one time can be used. After frozen more than once and rethawed they turn mushy grey and taste terrible. Best to cut them up while still semi frozen, blanch if not going to use them right away, dry them quick and freeze loosely on cookie trays as french fries, homefries, etc. Place pieces in bags and freeze right away. Mash and freeze immediately. Don't add anything else to potatoes.

January 5, 2014 Flag

I left a 15# bag of potatoes in the car and they froze. I brought them into the house and they thawed and now are leaking fluids and are spongy. Are they still edible for mashed or frying?

By Dianna E.

This happened to me once too. I cut them in large pieces, microwave cooked them with the skins on, drained the excess water then peeled them. I puree'd them and froze several bags, each one enough to use as the base for a creamed soup. Worked fine.

January 27, 2010 Flag

I froze a bag of potatoes by mistake. Can I use them?

By Deb from Bismarck, ND

Raw potatoes or potatoes in combination dishes such as soups and stews do not freeze well. Upon thawing and reheating, they tend to disintegrate. If you are preparing a combination dish for freezing, omit the potatoes and add them instead during the thawing/reheating process before serving. You might try making mash potatoes with them,good luck.

You most certainly can still use them! Cook and mash them and re-freeze in individual containers for future use for potato pancakes, dumplings, seasoned mashers, etc, etc! Here are a couple links that should be of help to you and both links have quite a few good recipes:

http://notmadeofmoney.com/blog/2007 ... es-for-leftover-mashed-potatoes.html

http://homecooking.about.com/library/archive/blv169.htm

Food and Recipes Food Tips AdviceDecember 31, 2013
Freezing Potatoes, Potatoes on white background
Freezing Potatoes
Fresh Fruits and Vegetables
Adding Raw Food To Your Diet
Hands Holding Freshly Harvested Potatoes
Harvesting Potatoes
Meatballs cooking in sauce.
Using Frozen Meatballs
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 19, 2016 at 5:13:01 PM on 10.0.1.91 in 344 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.