Peeling Ripe Peaches

Does anyone know how to peel very ripe peaches easily?

By Plengfer from Colorado

Just cut an "x" on one end and dunk them in boiling water for about 30 seconds, then into an ice water bath. The skin will fall right off. If your peaches are not ripe, the skin will stick. Don't boil them long enough to cook, just enough to get the skin heated up. This will be a bit messy but worth it.

I don't know if it was just my Peaches or if this will work on all Peaches, when they were nice and ripe, I would cut them in half, when I would Cut them in half then twist and have 2 halves, in the peace with the seed I can peel the skin off with a sharp knife from the tip to the stem then I would cut the other half in quarters and do the same, I do not cut in the groove I would cut on the side so when you twisted it apart half of the seeds stuck out to hold onto. I did not have to dip them in hot water if there was a spot where the skins stock I would just rub the back of the knife over that area to break the tissue between the skin in the peach and it peeled off quite easily.

This year when I put peaches in the freezer I tried using a potato peeler. It worked for me. The peel came off very thin so less waste, and much faster and easier than a knife. Than I tried it on apples for a pie. The only way to go. Probably will work on a lot of fruit.

I find that dunking them in boiling water works best and with less waste than any other way. It's best to have a sink of cold water with ice in it to put them in to cool down quickly after the dunk.

Place peaches on a slotted spoon and dip into boiling water for about 30 seconds, once cool the skin slips right off.

A serrated peeler works wonders on any soft fruit even tomatoes.