Share Crafts

Hedge Apples Repel Spiders

I have hedge apples and I noticed one looked like it has been eaten. I also have dogs that could of eaten them, but do spiders eat the hedge apples?

By Brittany

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By Cindy 3 287 11/29/2010

Our dogs won't touch the things but we have plenty of squirrels in the area that munch on the hedge apples. If you have squirrels nearby, I'd "hedge" my bets on the fact that it was them and not the dogs snacking on the crop. :-)

I've never heard anything about spiders eating or being repelled by them. But, if you ever get a cricket caught in the house that you can hear, but cannot find, put a green hedge apple in the room and that cricket will disappear! (I honestly don't know if they die or just leave, but the noise stops!)

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By santaclaus 1 07/20/2011

I have a goofy question my husband asked me yesterday as I was putting my hedge apples around the house. He asked, "Well where to the spiders go? Because we know we have then in the dang old house.

Also, I was told not to cut them but to put them out whole. And to throw the away when they turned brown, which would be in about 45 days. One more question please? Can I save some to use after these need to be thrown away? Freezing maybe? I bought 12 pounds of them.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Carmen R. 1 09/19/2013

My family has used Hedge balls (hedge apples) for many years. They seem to work amazing for us. We just one ball in each corner of our basements.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Alby G. 1 09/02/2014

I have used Hedge Apples for years to repel what I call dust spiders in the basement. They are the spiders that have long legs, very small body compared to their legs and make cob webs in the floor joists connecting to anything from the floor to the walls. I use about 6 or 7 spread around the basement at eye level and higher. They work! What eats Hedge Apple? I've seen rodents, squirrels, and white tail deer eating them. Deer especially, when fruit is soft.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Here are questions related to Hedge Apples Repel Spiders.

Question: Using Hedge Apples for Pests

Do I put them out whole or cut them in half? How many do I put in each room?

By Jody

AnswerWas this interesting? Yes No

Most Recent Answer

By Vicky 6 36 10/12/2012

I have successfully placed hedge apples (also known as Osage oranges) around the house without drawing ants or gnats and have left them 'til they dried up or almost rotted. It's best to place them on a saucer or in a re-used plastic container and not directly on the floor or carpet. It may also depend on what area of the country in which you live whether or not they attract ants/gnats.

I wait until after a good frost to harvest them from the ground. They then have that lovely fragrant aroma, which I would wear as a perfume!, which may act as the repellent. Blessings

Added info. I think Martha Stewart recommended slicing them, letting them dry in a slow oven, and using as Christmas ornaments. They are almost impossible to cut into. My dad almost ruined a saw doing that for me several years ago. The final product was not worth the effort!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Question: Using Hedge Apples to Get Rid of Spiders

Do hedge apples harm kids, dogs, or cats?

By Char

AnswerWas this interesting? Yes No

Most Recent Answer

By Elaine S. 39 243 10/07/2013

This is an old wive's tale. Google it and you will see.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the comments that were provided then.

Archive: Hedge Apples Repel Spiders

Where you have a problem with spiders and other creepy crawling critters, put hedge apples, the "fruit" off an Osage Orange tree in the place where the spiders are.

Archive: Hedge Apples Repel Spiders

To eliminate spiders, place hedge apples near the locations that spiders build their webs. Place the hedge apple on something that can be thrown away with the hedge apple after it deteriorates into a lump. This does not seem to kill the spiders, but acts as a repellent.

Source: common folk knowledge - just something people seem to know

By Choelizath from Gowdy, IN

RE: Hedge Apples Repel Spiders

Conkers (chestnuts) do the same job although I have yet to try it. There is a spray with chestnut oil in it as well. (10/16/2009)

By skinnyjinny

RE: Hedge Apples Repel Spiders

I'm so glad the archive refers to the Burke Museum website about spider myths, which are everywhere. The comment on Osage orange containing insect-repellent substances shouldn't be surprising, but is irrelevant, since spiders aren't insects and don't eat Osage orange or absorb anything from walking on them.
Osage orange, horse chestnut or copper pennies won't work. Overcoming that irrational fear of spiders, with the website's help, might. (10/19/2009)

By peseta

RE: Hedge Apples Repel Spiders

Raid works great. Just spray it around your doors and windows or right on the spiders. (11/07/2009)

By samstone

Archive: Hedge Apples Repel Spiders

I can't find info anywhere explaining if you have to cut open the hedge apple to use it to repel spiders.

RE: Hedge Apples Repel Spiders

You don't cut it. Just put it on a piece of tin foil. I put mine under the kitchen sink and in corner where my dogs won't get at it. It will shrink down to a walnut size. It doesn't seem to get moldy or anything. It works for spiders in my house. (11/27/2009)

By raspet

RE: Hedge Apples Repel Spiders

For a pretty good amount of info about hedge apples try Iowa State University College of Agriculture: search hedge apples or Osage orange.

Are you afraid of spiders, if so disregard this comment. Spider are useful insects and generally harmless. They produce a fantastic beautiful web that a lot of photographers like to take pictures of especially when loaded with early morn dew. A few are poisonous, but left alone hardly ever harm you. (12/03/2009)

By Rubber Arm

RE: Hedge Apples Repel Spiders

They also work good in my house keeping spiders out! I just set them around in those plastic disposable bowls. No need to cut them open! (12/04/2009)

By Mary Moo

RE: Hedge Apples Repel Spiders

Did they draw gnats in your home? I am horrified of spiders. Twice a year we have our house sprayed. I have read about using hedge apples so I decided to try them this year. I asked my friend, a wise old gal, and she said, "Yes, they repel spiders, but they draw gnats!" Since I am not afraid of gnats, I opted for the hedge apples. Am I ever sorry! I gathered the hedge apples up and trashed them, with a buzzing cloud of gnats surrounding me. Tonight I will put apple cider vinegar out, hoping to get rid of the gnats. (11/13/2010)

By kerly87