Hedge Apples Repel Spiders

I have hedge apples and I noticed one looked like it has been eaten. I also have dogs that could of eaten them, but do spiders eat the hedge apples?

By Brittany

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

Our dogs won't touch the things but we have plenty of squirrels in the area that munch on the hedge apples. If you have squirrels nearby, I'd "hedge" my bets on the fact that it was them and not the dogs snacking on the crop. :-)

I've never heard anything about spiders eating or being repelled by them. But, if you ever get a cricket caught in the house that you can hear, but cannot find, put a green hedge apple in the room and that cricket will disappear! (I honestly don't know if they die or just leave, but the noise stops!)

My family has used Hedge balls (hedge apples) for many years. They seem to work amazing for us. We just one ball in each corner of our basements.

I have used Hedge Apples for years to repel what I call dust spiders in the basement. They are the spiders that have long legs, very small body compared to their legs and make cob webs in the floor joists connecting to anything from the floor to the walls. I use about 6 or 7 spread around the basement at eye level and higher. They work! What eats Hedge Apple? I've seen rodents, squirrels, and white tail deer eating them. Deer especially, when fruit is soft.

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

Whole and sliced Hedge Apples (Maclura pomifera) also known as Osage Oranges against a white background
Using Hedge Apples to Repel Spiders
Home and Garden Pest Control SpidersNovember 29, 2010
Pruning a Hedge
Pruning a Hedge
Pile of green apples.
Selecting Good Apples
A pile of dried apple slices.
Drying Apples
underside of Black Widow Spider
Getting Rid of Black Widow Spiders
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 18, 2016 at 1:47:28 AM on 10.0.0.224 in 257 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.