Use Chicken Feed as Kitty Litter

For an outstanding scoopable, clumping, odor controlling cat litter, try using chicken feed or chick starter crumbles. This is available at feed stores and farm and home stores. It costs about $10.00 for a forty pound bag. I kept my old clay scoopable cat litter jugs and pour it into them. One bag will fill five of the twenty pound litter jugs.

We have 38 inside cats and we have cut our litter bill by two thirds. I feel that this does a better job of controlling odor than the clay scented litter. My only recommendation to ease litter box cleaning is a litter scoop called "Litter Lifter" you can find them on a Google search. This scoop is great with any litter, no more shaking the scoop, the clean litter just falls through the scoop.

By bober63841 from South East, MO

This is a great idea! I tried it out using four of my litter boxes, and my cats just loved it and did not use the other litter boxes that had the regular cat litter that I had bought! I also have found that litter in my area has increased quite a lot, and this idea is really cost friendly also! Thanks a bunch for the great idea!

Hi, and question! I have been using the "worlds best cat litter" ... which they say is corn based... edible, and it is crumbles. Just wondering... do you think this may be similar or one and the same? I love this stuff and we too have several litter boxes and more cats than I want to admit. This stuff is easy to clean, no dust at all, 100% all usable, zero waste, clumps, and I could not be happier, except the price has skyrocketed in the last year.

Your suggestion of the lay crumbles may just save me a bundle and I can not thank you enough! I will try it, but was just curious if you think they are similar or one and the same?

Thanks again!

I'd really like to try this! I have 19 of my own, and it seems the litter costs more than the food. Acctually, that would make sense since the litter they use for 2 things not 1 (lol). My concern is, with something food-based, would it draw in bugs? I live in Florida, and we get red ants (nasty little biters!) and big palmetto bugs (the Godzilla of roaches!) Would open containers of cornmeal-like litter draw these things in? I already do battle to keep these critters out during the summer months-don't want to set a table and ring the dinner bell so to speak. Have you had any problems with creepy crawlies trying to eat your corn based litter?

Pets CatsDecember 22, 2010
Kitty Litter Substitute
Kitty Litter Substitutes
Black cat in a litter box.
Kitty Litter Tips and Tricks
Cute Little Girl in Chicken Costume
Making a Chicken Costume
Cat Litter
Alternative Uses for Cat Litter
🎄