Wood Stove Pellets as Cat Litter

Wood stove pellets at $5 for a 40 pound bag make a very nice cat litter. The pellets are made from hard wood so they last much longer than the pine pellet litter made for cats. They are biodegradable. They also clump around the poop. The urine turns them into sawdust and as long as there are pellets in the box, there will be no smell. Once all of the pellets have turned to sawdust, you can still use it for a while. Eventually they will become soaked with urine. Dump and refill before this happens as that is when it begins to smell. If you dump it while there are still pellets in the bottom, there will be little to no cleaning of the litter pan.

This sounds like an awesome alternative to super expensive cat litter. I will share this with all my friends who have cats. You've got my vote! :)

Thanks Melissa. When the bag of pellets is still in my car I slide a corner of the bag over the edge of the seat, put a 5 gallon pail on the ground underneath, slice the corner of the bag with a knife and let the pellets fill up the pail. One bag of pellets will fill up 2 five gallon pails. If you have tops for the pails you can store them one on top of the other. Let us know how the pellets work out for you.

Will the cat try to eat it

THANK YOU ! I have 10 cats ! My cat litter was costing me 100.00 mo. or more ! God bless you for posting this solution !

where in the world do you find 40 lbs of wood pellets for $5?
I glanced on Amazon and it's more like 50$ plus.

I did a quick search too and found this one that is about $5 for 40 pounds. Of course, shipping is additional but you might look at a farm supply in your local area to save on that.

shop.grangecoop.com/.../clean-burn-wood-pellets-40lb-72870...

Lowes and some other hardware stores carries them for 5 bucks. Called stove pellets. At a farm supply, it might be called horse bedding pellets.