Removing Odor from a Leather Jacket

How do I get rid of frying odors from a restaurant, on my leather jacket? Clarissa D.

The easiest way is to hang it in the fresh air overnight. But before you start, I'd first spray the jacket with a lot of Febreze inside & out (I like the vanilla scent because it's not a strong scent). If this doesn't work, the only thing left is to rent an ozone machine & hang the jacket in a closed small room with the ozone machine running for about an hour or 2 & the odor will totally disappear! If you have a friend that has an ozone based room air cleaner, you can use that. It may take a whole day in a small room with the ozone based air cleaner, but it will work. I'd turn the jacket inside out after an hour or so & keep turning it right-side, then inside out the whole time the ozone machine or ozone air cleaner is on.

June 8, 2009 Flag

I have a leather bomber jacket that I really like except for the cigarette smell. The lining which I think is silk, smells the worst. I've tried baking soda but with limited results. The smell seems to come back. I couldn't scrub with baking soda all over as it made quite a mess. Any suggestions as to what I can try? Thank you.

Chuck from Lexington, KY

Removing Odor from a Leather Jacket

Try tumbling the jacket in the dryer on the lowest heat setting with several dryer sheets. Hang, let cool and repeat if needed. (02/27/2009)

By Jean

Removing Odor from a Leather Jacket

Have you had it dry cleaned? If not send it to the cleaners, good luck. (02/28/2009)

By K W

February 27, 2009 Flag

I am trying to get the terrible chemical smell from my new leather jacket. I have it in a large sealed garbage bag with baking soda in the bottom. Did anyone ever have this solution work? If this doesn't work, did anyone ever really put their leather jacket in a clothes dryer with a fabric softener sheet? I don't want to ruin my jacket by putting it in the dryer. I realize you are supposed to use low heat. Still, I've never heard of doing this. I really like my jacket but I can't wear it until I get the disgusting chemical smell out.

Birdie from MI

Removing Odor From Leather Jacket

Yes, it should work. I have done that before with leather, pvc, and my husband's motorcycle jacket he got from a friend ( it reeked of smoke). I usually just use half a box of the baking soda at first, and leave it in the sealed bag for a few days, making sure to shake the bag a few times a day. Then after the few days go by I take it outside and open the bag up and shake and beat the garment (some times vacuum, as well, with the attachment tools of course) until the baking soda is all/mostly gone. Then I try and detect if the smell is still noticeable on the garment. If it is then I just toss it back into the bag with what's left in the box of baking soda I used before. I let it sit for a few more days. It usually gets the job done. (02/01/2009)

By Verybella

Removing Odor From Leather Jacket

I just recently sprayed the lining of a jacket with Lysol spray. Lysol kills germs that cause odors, so I thought that would work, and it did wonderfully! I also hung it outside for a few hours, and it smells nice and fresh now! (02/01/2009)

By Carolb

Removing Odor from a Leather Jacket

Hang it outside. Many of these wares come from across the ocean. They are crated with chemicals similar to moth balls and we find that offensive. Sometimes many washings take place before the smell diminishes. Wearing leather clothing gives me a migraine. The chemical sensitivity has long arms to disrupt lives. (02/03/2009)

By T and T Grandma

Leather Jacket
Removing Odors from a Leather Jacket
Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsJune 8, 2009
Cigarette Left Burning in Ashtray
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Leather
Leather Jacket
Cleaning Body Oil Stains on Leather Jacket
Men's leather winter boots.
Removing Smoke Odor from Leather Boots
An ink pen in a blue leather purse.
Removing Ink from Leather