Is OxiClean Powder Any Good?

By Robyn Fed 394 1,240

I would like reviews of OxiClean stain remover or any of the Oxy cleaners that come in a jar. Do they work, how well, what stains, etc. I don't want to spend money on this if it does not work really well.

By Robyn from Hampton, TN

Filter Sort

By Carol Rodriguez 35 107 Flag

We have been using oxi-clean for a long, long time. I have heard negative reviews where people claimed one of the products "ate holes in their clothing," but for everyday use, I like oxi-clean.

We have super, super hard water, and all of our whites turn rust colored, so we use oxi-clean to prevent that. Also, our bathtub turns into a rusty mess. I've used many different products to clean it, including very nasty, chemical smelling products, but one day, I decided to use the powdered form of oxi-clean on the bathtub, and "voila," I had the bathtub cleaned in minutes versus hours, and no noxious odors or smells.

I tried looking up oxi-clean on the web, to find out what chemicals are in it, but I haven't found any results yet.

If your water doesn't have a lot of rust, or no rust in it, then you probably don't need oxi-clean. I haven't tried it on carpeting or upholstery yet.

But, for those with hard water, and rust stains, I really do recommend oxi-clean, it is quick and efficient.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By christine M. Thayer 2 232 Flag

I've used it for years. I let the washer agitate for a few minutes & then stop the washer. Wait an hour or so, then start the washer up again. This helps to get stains & oil out. Of course, you add it to detergent. I thought I had an old container of it, that listed the ingredients, can't find it. I'll probably find it later.

For those of you that want to get rid of rust easily, use vinegar. Acid breaks up rust. Vinegar is a mild acid. There are others out there, but most people have vinegar. Pour it where the rust is & let set for a bit. May have to be repeated.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Judith Ardis 22 Flag

I rely on OxiClean powder for every wash, the spray to pretreat spots, and the little travel spray rides in my purse to treat spots I get in restaurants, etc. I think it's a wonderful product. So far, it hasn't met a stain it can't delete!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Beth 25 1,120 Flag

Nothing works 100% of the time, but Oxi Clean is darn close!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Kathryen 8 68 Flag

It didn't work for me the one time I did try to use it for grease stains on two sweatshirts in 2002. Have never used it again, although I still have the bucket of it out in the garage!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By delta 15 Flag

I sell vintage linens so see lots of very very old stains. While Oxyclean does work well, I think powdered Biz works better. An overnight soak in hot water and Biz will take out even 70+ year old stains on old linens.

Add a scoop of Tide with bleach alternative if the stains are stubborn. Secret is the soak, soak it as long as it takes, even a week if you have to. Does not ruin the fabric either.

Biz makes a liquid but it is blue colored so hard to see if the stains are coming out and if I have to change the water.

The sprays are useless for older stains and for stubborn new ones. I tried them all and they are just too expensive when a box of Biz powder costs $6 (weighs a few pounds) and last a year or longer.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Archive: Is OxiClean Powder Any Good?

I have been using OxiClean spray for the kids' stains on their clothes, however they didn't have it at the store when I went last and I picked up the granules instead. I haven't had much luck adding scoops directly to the load or even adding some to the pre-soak cycle. Any tips?

Robin from Marietta, GA

Feedback:

RE: Is OxiClean Powder Any Good?

That is all I use and have great luck. I actually soak them in a 5 gallon bucket overnight then put them in to the laundry the next day. Works great. (11/14/2007)

By ilovecandles7

RE: Is OxiClean Powder Any Good?

I used to add it to every load of laundry, and didn't find that it was doing much. However, it is great if you soak clothes in it in a tub (the container says to soak like an hour, but I soak overnight, or even 24 hours). Make sure you dilute the granules with hot water (they just don't dissolve in cold). After soaking, wash clothes as usual. Even if the stain looks like it is still there after the soaking, it will almost always come out in the wash. It even works on stains that have been through the dryer. I have four kids and love the stuff. I've never tried the spray. (11/16/2007)

By moonbaby28163

RE: Is OxiClean Powder Any Good?

I agree, the trick is to use it in hot water for optimum results. I always soak my whites overnight in the washer with a scoop of it, and they continue to be nice and bright. (11/17/2007)

By susanmajp

OxiClean
OxiClean Reviews
Previous
Home and Garden Cleaning ClothingNovember 28, 2009
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
OxiClean
OxiClean Reviews
Making Garlic Powder
Making Garlic Powder
Homemade OxiClean
Homemade OxiClean Recipes
Two bare feet.
Homemade Foot Powder
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 14, 2016 at 1:27:38 AM on 10.0.2.241 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

AnswersArchives
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings