Splitting Bills with Spouse

Should a wife who earns more than her husband be willing to pay some of the bills. My wife says that because I'm the man, I'm solely responsible for paying the bills. I earn about 40% of our family income, but I pay about 90% of our expenses. Am I reasonable to expect more from her?

Noah from GA

Answers

Maybe I'm old fashioned but I still think everything should be put into one pot and shared, the bills and income no matter how much that may be. I earn about 7.00 dollars per hour more than my husband and it never concerns me, pay the bills and share whatever is left. I have heard of couples who add up all the household bills and than each pays the same percentage rather than splitting them in half which could end up being unfair to the spouse earning much less. On the other hand what's the point of even being married if you can't share everything.