Splitting Pills

A pill splitting apparatus or a knife doesn't always work very well. You can end up with lots of pill crumbs and be unsure of how much medication you really have. This is a guide about splitting pills.

My husband takes half of a pill, and I was having so much trouble with the cutter that I bought from the Pharmacy. It would cut the pill, but lots of times it crumbled into pieces instead of splitting it in half. I mentioned this to my Pharmacist, and he gave me this simple, but effective way.

Take about 3 playing cards from a deck, and place them on a flat surface. Using the photos as your guide, place the pill with the dividing mark on the straight edge of the card stack. Next, with your left index finger, hold the left edge of the pill in place while you press the right edge with your right index finger.

This works almost 100% of the time. It will work best if the pill is flat.

This makes little sense to me, and I tried. Sorry. But hey, I'm glad it worked for you, those cutters at the pharmacy do not work very well and using a knife is just out of the question.

I get it and if it works well, I might even glue three cards together for a permanent pill-splitter! Thanks so much for the tip!

Thanks for the card idea. Pill splitters do seem to be a waste of money. I do a similar thing with my mom's caplets. they're just a tad too big and breaking them makes her get a little more fluid (she's on thickened liquids & doesn't like it).

The edge of her hutch is raised a little and the pills snap with not a lot of pressure. I've used the blade of a butter knife the same way.

That is the most useful tip I have read on here! Love it!