Cactus is Turning Brown and Splitting

Category Cactus
When a cactus is not healthy you may be able to save it with some surgery and repotting. This is a guide about cactus is turning brown and splitting.

I re-potted my cactus about 8-10 months ago and it's now split and gone brown, can it be saved? I've had it for about 15 years and it was only about 10cm when I bought it. Is it just getting old and dying? Do cacti have shelf lives? Did the trauma of being re-potted stress it as it had been in the same pot for years. It wasn't like this when I re-potted it. I had to re-pot it as it had gotten very top heavy and was in danger of falling over. The original pot it was in was about 15cm.
Please help! Thank you.

Answers

Best Answer

At times a cactus will do this.

Step 1
Take the cactus out of the pot you planted it in.

Step 2
Cut off the dead part of the cactus. I would cut it up 2 more inches from where it is turning brown.

Step 3
Plant the cactus back in a new pot with new soil.

Step 4
The cactus will start to root again.

Step 5
Don't over water cactus plants. You need to wait until the soil is really dry before watering them again. I would suggest every 12 to 15 days to water the cactus.

Step 6
Keep the cactus in a warm area with a lot of sun.

Did you give it too much water? You need to let it dry between watering. It could have fungi, the most common is Botrytis cinerea.

Step 1
Using a sharp, clean knife, cut out all blackened, dead or rotting plant tissue along with about 1/2-inch of surrounding healthy tissue.

Step 2
Dipping the knife into a solution of 1 part chlorine bleach and 9 parts water between each cut helps prevent spreading the infection.

Step 3

Angle the cuts so that water drains out of the carved-out pocket.

Step 4
Kill off the remaining bacteria by using the rest of the bleach solution to rinse the treated area.

Step 5
Allow the cactus to dry naturally.

Source: living.thebump.com/treat-sick-saguaro-cactus-14643.html