Training Cats To Stay Off Furniture

What can I do to keep the cats from sitting in my rocking chairs? They leave their hair on the chair pads.

By Johnsons from Spartanburg, SC

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

A squirt from a bottle of water every time you see the cat where he/she should not be. You have to be consistant with this.

The water bottle idea works very well. It's how we trained three large cats to not even think of touching our furniture, however, I would like to add, if you make a psssst! noise while you spray them, eventually you only have to make the psssst noise and will not need to use the water.

Also, place some tin foil or double sided sticky tape in the chair. One time on either will be enough to make them think twice about wanting to get in that chair.

First, reduce any dry cereal you are feeding and increase the protein, keeping a large bowl of water clean/full/ available at all times. Next, buy a VERY sturdy stand-alone tall scratching post or make your own by wrapping 1/2 in. hemp rope tightly around a 4"x4" post screwed to it's own wooden base.

Third, brush your cat twice a week, especially in the Spring, early Summer, and throughout if needed. Add a raw egg to whatever protein you feed. I have used tuna/egg for 21 years (hating canned cat food chemicals) and my cat is wonderfully well, along with a small helping of cat cereal.

She's never had shots, I do not allow her to go out, nor do I trust ANY of the vaccines any longer now that I learned the govt. places Aluminum in them after taking Mercury out with public complaints! She's never been sick except a rare hairball, when I forget to brush her.

Watch when you pet your cat. If it's shedding when you pet it, it needs brushing, then the leaving hair on a cushion is a non-issue, right? Surely you don't mind if the cat sleeps in a chair? Otherwise, use the water spray. It works but you have to stay with it and be willing to get up and down consistently until the cat learns, then what will you do when you are gone?

I also place my cat in a good sized news papered clean cage when I leave and at night, with a small amount of food/water to prevent surprises. It's not cruel, and works for both our good. God bless you and your cat. : )

Easy! I have two very good suggestions. I have two 9 week old kittens that decided they loved my coffee table. No more. $1 spray bottle with water. Wonderful! Now all I have to do is aim and they run from it. Two is "sticky paws". It's two sided tape that doesn't damage your furniture. They don't like the stickiness. You get I think 24 strips for $14.99.

Answer

I found an easy way to keep cats off my furniture and out of rooms I do not want them in. I keep a spray bottle full of water and just give them a squirt when they exhibit the undesirable behavior. They immediately run away and are trained very quickly.

By Dana

Training Cats To Stay Off Furniture

Another solution that doesn't require you to watch cats all the time is to put double-sided tape on the furniture you don't want them on. Cats don't like getting their paws sticky. After a few sticky jumps, they'll decide it's not worth it. (11/15/2004)

By calnorth

Keeping Animals off the Furniture

Another good tip for keeping your animals off the furniture is to lay some aluminum foil on the furniture. When the dog or cat jumps up there, they won't like the feel or the noise when they land on the foil.

By Robin (11/24/2004)

By ThriftyFun

Training Cats To Stay Off Furniture

The solution to this problem in my house is called a Scat Mat or something similar from a pet store. Initially not cheap, but the only thing that actually has worked long-term. They are great and don't really hurt the cat (or me when I accidentally touch or sit on it) -- just scare them off the furniture. Works for dogs, too.

Now I don't even keep batteries in it and the cats and dogs still won't go near the sofa! I also provided some homemade pillows stuffed with old rags made from cloth from the remnant table. They love to sit on "their" pillows and I can put them where the cats are more welcome or use them as furniture covers. (11/24/2004)

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
A cat sitting on the floor.
Training Cats to Stay Off Furniture
Pets TrainingMay 15, 2009
Finding the Value of Conant Ball Furniture
Furniture polish being sprayed on wood furniture.
Removing Furniture Polish Build Up from Wood Furniture
Antique Wood Furniture with Sticky Film
Cleaning Wood Furniture With a Sticky Film
agility training for your dog
Agility Training for Your Dog
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 25, 2016 at 6:08:04 PM on 10.0.1.169 in 601 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.