Deodorant Advice

I have had the lymph nodes under my left armpit removed about 2 years ago. At the time of the surgery, my surgeon advised me to NEVER use any deodorant again that contained any aluminium products. As these 'gum up' your lymphatic system and there is still a query around this causing problems with mammograms and they may cause some forms of cancers.

Therefore, I have tried everything from applying lemon juice to my arms pits, crystal deodorant and just about everything else known to woman kind! Even though I shave very regularly in the area, I also use a antibacterial soap I still get very smelly. Powder is also not recommended, even baby powder.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I may maintain my personal hygiene and also be nice to be near. Please remember that I live in New Zealand and many of the products available in the US are unfortunately unavailable to me here. Many grateful thanks for your tips.

Ang from New Zealand

Hi Ang!!! I've actually had great success with the crystal deodorants by wetting them very well before rubbing my underarms. Another thing I like, though I think one must apply a couple of times a day, is straight rubbing alcohol. I just wet a cotton ball and rub under the arms...this should kill the bacteria.

Try ORGANIC VIRGIN COCONUT OIL! It is fabulous and all natural. AND, you will NOT smell like a coconut cake...;-)

hi ang. i use plain white vinegar to wash underarms with. i do use deodarnte but the vinegar is a helper in cleaning away the bacteria which causes the smell.

I've been using a deodorant stone for years and it really works well. It is 100% natural ! Rub it on right out of the shower while you are still wet. It will last a year or more depending on the size of stone you buy.

Just a note about the stone crystals -- you must wet them before using, and then rub over the entire area and then some, and allow to dry fully before getting dressed. Finally, you must use them for a while (3-4 days) before you notice them really working well.

Health food stores also have various deodorants that do not contain any aluminum.

A friend's husband will only use a mixture of cornstarch and baking soda. I've not tried it, but he swears by it.

I have heard that part of the smell problem with underarms is diet related. One of my friends swears that vegans don't smell. I have also read that going organic can help. Not sure if I buy it, but it is something that I have heard.

Also, I have heard that you can disolve some baking soda in water and use it kind of like a spray on deoderant. Haven't tried it myself, so no idea if it is effective or not.

And finally, try what you can, and then just relax. It's pointless to worry about something beyond your controll. Do the best that you can, and be confidant in yourself. The whole deodorant hype is just the companies trying to make money. Human beings got along without deodorant quite well before they came along.

i've been trying to give up conventional deoderant and tried the Tom's of Maine...didn't work. BUT, i recently tried the spray deoderant made from minerals like the crystal and its been my lucky charm, works beautifully. i found it at the drugstore on the bottom shelf, its in a pump bottle. good luck.

Different laundry detergents have a bad affect on me. I love the arm & hammer with fabric softener but when I use it it causes me to stink. I use Era and have no problems with body odor. I have always heard deodorant is bad for you. I was always weary of using it.

I think the deodorant crystals contain aluminum of some sort. :(

Anyway, I'm currently using Tom's of Maine (don't know if that helps you there in NZ!) which is working well so long as I scrub down my underarms in the bath first. (This I do to exfoliate and remove the smelly bacteria!) I think the smell comes from the "underarms" as well as the front of the shoulder and the side of the chest.

Health & Beauty Beauty AdviceOctober 9, 2006
A woman putting on deodorant.
Deodorant Reviews
Man Using Deodorant
Using Deodorant
Photo of a stick of Sure deodorant.
Removing Deodorant Stains on Clothing
Deodorant Stains
Removing Deodorant Stains From a Sweater
🎄