Choosing Cantaloupe

When choosing a cantaloupe or mush melon as my Papaw used to say, search for one by sniffing the fruit. If it has a sweet, musky smell, it'll be a good fruit.

Thanks for that tip. I had no idea how to pick a good cantalope. I will give that method a try. I wonder if it's the same for choosing a watermelon?

By the way, I called my grandfather PaPaw too! My grandmother was MaMaw.

Hi Debbie, I recently posted on here, about choosing a good watermelon. I use the thumping method. I thump watermelons, actually several at a time, sometimes back and forth, trying to find one that sounds "hollow". This most usually works everytime for me. My husband is just amazed at my watermelon picking ability, LOL, he most certainly doesn't have it, LOL. So if a watermelon has to be chosen, in our household, it's me who purchases it!!

You mentioned that you call your grandparents "Mamaw & Papaw", too. I was born and raised in Western Kentucky.

Hello Badwater, thanks for the advice on watermelon picking. I don't buy whole ones that often because it's usually too much for my family but if the small round ones are on sale, I will try your method.

I was born in IN but my mother and her parents were from Centertown KY (near Owensboro).

MaMaw & PaPaw are gone now but they lived to a ripe old age (88 & 91). I had a grandmother till I was almost 50 years old which is probably unusual!

I love KY....we lived for a time in Florence (near Cincinnati)!

Selecting Cantaloupe at a farmers market
Selecting a Good Cantaloupe
Food and Recipes Food Tips FruitAugust 3, 2006
Several different types of cut melons.
Freezing Melons (Cantaloupe, Crenshaw, Honeydew, And Watermelon)
Cantaloupe With Cottage Cheese
Cantaloupe With Cottage Cheese
Cantaloupe Dessert
Cantaloupe Dessert Recipes
Sliced Cantaloupe
Storing Cantaloupe
🎉
🎄