Removing a Tick from a Dog

I found a tick on my dog. How do I safely remove it?

Thanks,
Lewis

I have tried, a cottonball with proxide (soaking cottonball) and place on tick.....Also Nail polish remover on cottonball, dabbing tic. till it starts to back out. also, If your quick, light a match, blow it out, and lay HOT match on tic. you may have to repeat afew times to get tic to come lose.

Good luck. Also contact your Vet. he might have some better ideas

We did the same. A lit cigerette and carefully placed it on the butt of the tick and it backed right out. You then have to practically smash them with a hammer to kill the dang things! I hate them. LOL

I used to do dog grooming and I can assure you that here in Iowa ticks are a major problem, especially in the spring and summer months! The way I removed them was to soak a cotton ball in alcohol. Then, take a pair of tweezers and grab the back end of the tick. Then cover the end of the tweezers and the tick with the cotton ball. The alcohol will make them back up. You should use a gentle twisting motion as you pull them out because pulling straight out will cause the head to stay in if, perchance, the tick hasn't completely withdrawn it's head. Good luck!

Using a match or anything hot risks burning your pet. Coat the tick with oil or vaseline. Wait a little while and the tick will suffocate. Then remove it with tweezers, being sure to get all of it-head especially.

You can use ice. Peanut butter works also because it smothers the tick

Can u tell me how to remove the head of the tic? I tried to remove it but the head stayed in.

We used a combination of all the responses. First, I held cotton ball with peroxide on it to the tic for about 60 second, and then used a hot match and it worked like a charm! Thanks for all the great advice! :) I would have been lost without all the help!

What about if the tick is dead? Sometimes they die when they are still attached and I need to remove the head. One of my dogs has a tick, but she is a small dog and I am looking for a way to remove the tick quickly and painlessly, as this will probably be a problem once in a while. I just got two shih tzu and they are happily taking over our lives.