What Draws Us to the Farmer's Market?

What are some of the most fun things about a farmer's market? What draws you and your family there?

By Coreen from Rupert, ID

The fact that most everything is grown locally; (there are big warehouses there, where produce is shipped in daily; the farmers come in on a daily basis, and are in a different area.) The farmer's vegetables are fresher, and taste better, but sometimes you have to watch out; they'll put a gorgeous ear of corn half-opened for you to see, and think that this is what you are buying, and then when you get the corn home, it is nothing like what you thought you were getting.

Open up an ear or two in the actual bushel that you are buying. And the same with lots of other vegetables. That's mainly the reason that I grow a garden; I know what I'm getting. I like the U-Pick establishments too. Love them things, you pick it fresh, and freeze it immediately when you get home. And someone elses tractor does the work, because I don't own a tractor, or a tiller. Gardening is hard work!

I like the freshness of the product and the ability to haggle. Nothing like the taste of a bargain.

I like knowing the produce is grown nearby. I like the variety of produce and honey and baked goods and plants so I can shop for lots of things at once. I like talking to the vendors and asking questions about their stuff. I like the prices which are usually cheaper than the stores. I like helping independent sellers keep their business going. I like the old fashioned feeling of the open air market.

Knowing the produce, potted plants, crafts, etc are locally grown :-) Also, the prices are so reasonable and many merchants are willing to reduce prices on some items as it gets closer to the end of the day :-) I love seasonal foods that are so inexpensive at a Farmers Market and especially love raspberry season because can almost always get a full flat for just $5.00 and be able to freeze them for the winter months :-)

Our local chapter of Penn State Master Gardeners has a tent at the Farmers' Market. Each week they present talks, demos, and Q&A sessions on topics such as planting, fertilizing, garden pests, gourd growing and crafting, and much more. It's become a very popular attraction. --shoe

My area is extremely lucky to have the Community Action Program which every year distributes $40 in Farmer's Market vouchers to those who are eligible. One must have an income that is below a certain figure, so the vouchers allow us to "buy" the fresh fruits, veggies and honey that we couldn't otherwise afford. What a generous and terrific "draw" to the Farmer's Market! Thank you CAP!!

Photo of organic vegetables from a farmers market.
Shopping at a Farmers Market
Better Living Green Living Shopping FoodJune 12, 2010
strawberries and blueberries
Tips for Buying Fresh Fruit
Motorcycle Parade
Motorcycle Parade Ideas
Fresh strawberries in a jar with a colander in the background.
Canning Strawberries
Farmer Costume
Making a Farmer Costume