Freezing Sweet Potatoes

You can shop of sweet potatoes when they are in season at the farmer's market or on sale at the super market. Now that you have a good number of this tasty tuberous root crop, consider freezing some for later use. This is a guide about freezing sweet potatoes.

November 6, 2011 Flag

We raise sweet potatoes in our garden. The smaller ones and the ones we cut while digging, I scrub and drop into a large pot and cover with water and boil until they are done.

The others, I keep them on large table in my basement to keep an eye on them and use them for baking or whatever. If any begin to look like they are starting to spoil, I immediately scrub and boil them.

I dump them immediately after cooking to keep them from absorbing any more water. I allow them to cool and then peel and press them into a Ziploc freezer bag. I use quart size bags and freeze. I use them in sweet potato casseroles and puddings for the remainder of the year.

By Marie G W. from Hardy, VA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May I suggest another way of freezing and cooking them: I wash and clean cut out the bad spots, leave peel on and steam or bake. I like to steam them as it takes less time than boiling or baking and then I let cool put whole potatoe in plastic gal bags and when needed leave frozen microwave till warm and baked sweet potatoe or pie or whatever and only have to peel when ready to eat. Have had them in the freezer that way for over a year without altering their taste.

November 8, 2011 Flag

Sweet potatoes actually freeze well. I prick them a few times with a fork, then put them in a baking pan and cover it with foil. I roast them at 350 degrees F until they are fully cooked. When they are completely cooled, I wrap each one in foil and freeze them as is, still in their jackets. When I want sweet potatoes I just take them out, thaw them, and use them the way I want.

For things like pie or muffins, just slice open and scoop the flesh out and mash it. For a side dish, I warm them in the microwave or oven, and serve. They reheat really well, and are really nice to have on hand for meals and baking.

By Copasetic 1 from North Royalton, OH

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 6, 2011 Flag

I bake them and mash them prior to freezing. I can use them in a casserole or to make pies. For pies I measure the amount needed and freeze in a Ziploc bag.

By Beverly from Carslbad, CA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 21, 2011 Flag

How do I freeze sweet potatoes?

By MarcyC

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

We are still eating sweet potatoes I froze last winter. After baking them, I peeled them and wrapped each potato in Glad Cling Wrap and put them in gallon zip lock freezer bags. When we want a sweet potato, I take one or two out and heat them in the microwave. They still taste like they are fresh out of the oven.

Best Answer

I bake my sweet potatoes, cool, then peel. Slice on cookie-sheet and freeze until

hard. I then take the sweet potato slices & put them in a large zip-lock bag and lay it flat. It is then ready to fry, or put in a pan with butter, brown sugar & bake. I then put on mini marshmallow on them until they turn brown. Very good. It you want to mash them, they are easy to do when they are thawed out.

I scrub them under running, cold water... slice them, then put them in, either, a ziploc baggie or a reusable container. As I use them, at least, several times a week, I don't have to worry about them going bad or getting freezer burnt.

I steam my sweet potatoes because they cook in half the time with the peel on them and don't quite get soft still firm. let cool on counter or rack, put in gallon plastic bags and throw them in the freezer. When I need to cook them I take them out leave frozen microwave till hot and peel and eat. If you wish to fry then you partly thaw them then peel and slice them and fry the rounds till hot.

have had some for 2 years and never had any freezer burn. I have a chest type freezer but if you have a frost free one I suggest that you put them in a paper sack and keep checking after 6 months.

September 20, 2010 Flag

Can someone tell me how to freeze sweet potatoes?

By Tricia from Walesuk

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You need to cook them first, either bake or boil and mash them. Baked ones let cool and toss in a freezer safe bag and label, to use pull out what # you want and let thaw and then reheat. For mashed either put into serving size containers or dollop serving size portions onto a cookie sheet and freeze then put the frozen dollops into a freezer container and label. I would suggest that you let the dollops thaw in a pot then stir them up and reheat. Oh you can season them before freezing but it would be better to season when reheating as some seasonings either loose their flavor or get stronger when frozen.

Here is how I freeze sweet potatoes. I bake them in the microwave until they start to get soft. I let them cool, then peel & slice them in round disks. I place them on a plastic lined cookie sheet then freeze. When they are frozen, you can then put them in a bag, laying them flat. This way you have them ready to make candied or fried sweet potatoes. I always freeze sweet potatoes when they are on sale, so I can have them ready to re-bake or fry in butter. I make candied sweet potatoes by laying them in a buttered pan, (how ever many you need), putting butter on each slice, them sprinkling brown sugar on them. Bake about 20 mins, then place mini marshmallows on the sweet potatoes & bake until the marshmallows are brown, (about 10 more mins.) Hope you will enjoy these.

Pat in GA

P.S. You can always mashed these if you want them that way.

January 21, 2013 Flag

I need to freeze some sweet potatoes I'm going to be feeding the to pigs so they're not going to be cooked after freezing. What is the best way to freeze them?

By Logan

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Freezing them will bust the cell walls just like a raw potato uncooked. So there will be a lot of liquid when they are thawed out. Feed the liquid too, it will have a lot of good stuff.

Personally I would cook them first then freeze in a bag. They will discolor but no problem with the value. If uncooked a lot of the cell wall well be intact when they exit the animal so some of the nutrients will be lost.

December 2, 2011 Flag

I want to freeze the sweet potatoes for french fries in the oven later. Do I need to blanch them or just cut them and freeze them in slices?

By Maietta L

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Cut them, blanch for two minutes only, give an immediate ice/cold water bath until they cool, drain, place on towels to drain off excess water, place evenly on a baking sheet to freeze and once frozen place in freezer bags with as much air removed as possible. They will be good to go in the freezer for up to two months.

There's also a fry blanching technique but, personally, it doesn't sound appetizing to me ;-)

September 20, 2010 Flag

Can I freeze home grown sweet potatoes?

By Bobbie from OH

Answers:

Freezing Sweet Potatoes

You can't freeze them raw, you must cook them first. (08/18/2010)

By Fortunately

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 18, 2010 Flag

Can I freeze sweet potatoes?

By Avis from PA

Answers:

Freezing Sweet Potatoes

Yes. I freeze cooked sweet potatoes all the time. When they are on sale at a really good price I buy quite a few. Use them as is for a while, but when they start to look like they may go bad I peel, dice, and cook them in the microwave. I add a few tablespoons of water in the dish as they cook and stir as they cook once in a while to keep them moist. Cook till tender. Then let them cool and put them in the 1# recycled plastic butter containers. They are just as good to eat after defrosting. (12/21/2009)

By suzin

Freezing Sweet Potatoes

I always buy sweet potatoes in bulk. What I usually do is wash and dry them. I then rub some oil on them, wrap them in aluminum foil and bake them until they're soft. When they cool off, I freeze them. When you want them, let them thaw out. I use them for souffles, or just mashed as a side dish. I also use them for cakes. I hardly ever run out of them. (12/22/2009)

By kris414

Freezing Sweet Potatoes

Go to pickyourown.org and you'll find anything you would ever want to freeze or can on this site. I use it during garden harvesting all the time.
(12/22/2009)

By maggie3956

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Freezing Potatoes, Potatoes on white background
Freezing Potatoes
Food and Recipes Freezing VegetablesNovember 2, 2011
sliced sweet potato
Recipes Using Yams (Sweet Potatoes)
growing sweet potatoes
Growing Sweet Potatoes
Dish of mashed potatoes.
Freezing Mashed Potatoes
Freezing Eggplants, Eggplants on White Background
Freezing Eggplants
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 17, 2017 at 12:22:01 PM on 10.0.1.230 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.