MTD Briggs and Stratton Engine Won't Start

My MTD model Briggs & Stratton engine 42A707 (700) won't start but keeps spinning. It stops running and will not run again. I replaced the fuel filter, drained off the fuel, and replaced the Magnetron unit. I have also replaced the spark plugs and cleaned the air filter. The choke opened and closed nicely, suddenly it cranked and started for 5 seconds and went dead. It still cranks but just won't start. The battery is new. I noticed that I can crank the engine when I have the gear in forward or reverse without pressing the clutch. Any idea what happen here? Please help, thanks!

By pengteo from Redmond, WA

I recommend that you have the mower serviced by a qualified mech. It sounds like you have an electrical issue in the safety switches.

Riding Mower
Repairing a MTD Riding Mower
Home and Garden Repair Machines Lawn MowersApril 23, 2010
Man Fixing Mower
Mower Won't Start
Man tinkering with a riding mower.
Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start
Craftsman Riding Mower
Craftsman Riding Mower Won't Start
Computer Won't Start in Cold Weather