Use Same Water for Cooking Vegetables

This past summer, mandatory water rationing was imposed on our community. I started cooking garden vegetables using the same water, one type of vegetable right after another. I'd scoop out the first ones, then cook a second batch using the same water. Saved electricity too since I was using water that was already near the boiling level. I've continued to do it all fall and winter.

Diane from Ukiah, CA

Also after you do your cooking you can water plants with that water.

Water in which vegetables were cooked can be used for soup stock. I cook my veggies in as little water as possible and at low heat. When done, I drain the water into a glass measuring cup. After the vegetable water cools I add it to a large bottle which I keep in the freezer. Then when a recipe calls for vegetable stock, or when I'm making soup, I thaw my stock and add it. Full of flavor and nutrients, so why pour it down the drain?

What a good idea. I have a friend who makes a pasta recipe and cooks the pasta first then the cauliflower and broccoli. Works and saves water and electricity.

Expedient PLUS keeping the nutrients for soup stock, etc. is the greatest.

Cooked Vegetables in White Bowl
Cooking Vegetables
Better Living Green Living Conservation WaterMarch 8, 2010
Cooking a Turkey in Your Oven, A turkey in the oven.
Cooking Ham and Turkey in the Same Oven
Water Softener
Buying a Water Softener
Consistently Sized Cookies
Making Consistently Sized Cookies
Cooking eggs in hot water.
Reusing Cooking Water