Share Crafts

Weeds Growing In Cracks In My Driveway

I would like to know how to stop weeds from growing in the cracks of the driveway and sidewalk. I am getting really tired of pulling them out one by one.

Helen OBrien from Trenton, ON

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By brenda newton 6 344 06/18/2006

Buy a bottle of roundup and give them a spray. Simple to do and the weeds are gone.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Toni 3 20 06/19/2006

I personally do not use any kind of toxic chemicals. I read this one but have not tried it but it is worth a shot. Use regular table salt in the cracks. I would imagine doing this after you pull them out. Also maybe a solution of boiling water and vinegar. Try both as they are cheap and safe to whatever critters that may be outside that can possibly get into those nasty chemicals on the market. Good luck and please post how it all worked out.
Good luck to you!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Anna from Maine (Guest Post) 06/19/2006

Put white vinegar (full strength) into a spray bottle and spray, making sure you get to the crown of the plant, also can pour boiling water over them.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By LEONA LABINE 46 398 06/19/2006

This recipe is from
It works really well. Like any other weed killer, make sure it is a sunny day. No rain for at least 8 hours after you spray.

Natural Weed Killer Formula

1 gallon White Vinegar
1 cup Table Salt
1 tablespoon Dish Detergent
Remove about 2 cups of Vinegar from the container, pour in salt and dish liquid, shake well to mix, pour the 2 cups of vinegar back into the container and shake lightly. Fill a spray bottle and use as needed. Spray in full sun. CAUTION: It kills all the plants or weeds it touches, but is harmless to animals

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Coreen Hart 78 376 06/20/2006

Pour boiling water over them.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Holly 367 1,264 06/21/2006

If you pour salt into the cracks, it will wash out into the yard with the rain.
Just in case someone suggests doing this!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By COOKIEPOM (Guest Post) 06/21/2006

I have a river rock walk from my driveway to my front porch. It tends to get little weeds growing between the motar from time to time so I have started to take my "grey" water that I have in my sink and pour it out on the walk. This is only when I have used the sink to mop out of. When I do this the water will have vinegar or bleach in it. So I just dip a pan in the sink and take it out front. This has really worked well for me!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No