Fixing a Squeaky Office Chair

A squeaky office chair can be annoying and even embarrassing. Fixing your squeaky chair will prevent all eyes from being on you every time you sit in your chair. This is a guide about fixing a squeaky office chair.

Office chair with lime green cushions.
Filter Sort

Tip: Fixing a Squeaky Office Chair

By Luana M. 82 149

Everybody in your office will be annoyed at a squeaky office chair, if it's yours at home you will be annoyed. Either way let's fix it. It's easier than you would think.

First make sure the chair is on a even surface and is level, if this is all in alignment let's proceed. I always try to use organic materials when possible. So I go to olive oil first, you can also use WD40. Put this on the springs and bolts under the seat. Make sure you have a cloth for any extra oil that could stain, if you haven't already protected the area (seat and space where fixing).

If it still squeaks go to every bolt, screw, and spring seeing if they are tight, or evenly tightened. You can adjust them or just unscrew and redo to make sure each one is in its correct position. If the chair is older, use the oil (or DW40) before you unscrew the screws or bolts. Then apply again before you replace them. This step will make sure everything is lubricated evenly.

This should have your squeaky chair as quiet as the day it was bought. Remember moisture in the air or air conditioning causes rust, so using the oil prevents and removes the built up rust keeping it from happening again in the future.

Source: Common sense, I watched my daddy and brothers do this all the time

By Luana M. from San Diego, CA

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: WD-40 To Fix Squeaky Office Chair

By Cricket 205 896

If the location of the squeak is more inside the mechanism, get some WD-40 with the long red tube on it and spray up in there. If it's not way in there, then you can use WD-40 without the sprayer tube, or even use spray vegetable oil.

By Cricket from Parkton, NC

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Fixing Squeaky Office Chairs

By Christina 1 5

How do you remove the seat mount on an office chair in order to fix a squeak?

By Scrcrow from Orem, UT

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Cricket 205 896 Flag

No need to remove the mount. Just get a can of WD-40 with the long straw on it and poke it up in there to give it a good spray.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Fix for Squeaky Brakes

By David Vargas 1

I am in park. I press on the brake and when I lift my foot off the pedal I hear a loud squeak. I can do this a hundred times and it's the same squeak. I drives my wife nuts because when we pull up to a light and I tap the brakes it squeaks every time I let my foot off the pedal. Any suggestions will help.

By David V.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Archive: Fixing Squeaky Office Chairs

How can you fix squeaky office chairs?

Linda P from PA

Feedback:

RE: Fixing Squeaky Office Chairs

If you know where the squeak is try silicone spray. You can get it at the auto parts store pretty cheap. Or you can try powdered graphite from a hardware store. I suppose you could sit forever with a number 2 pencil and go over the area where the squeak is, but the powdered graphite is much quicker.

Good Luck. (04/25/2007)

By SalTCBug

RE: Fixing Squeaky Office Chairs

As crazy as it sounds try Vaseline. Not sure if it'll work for ya, but it worked for the one we have here at home. I put some in a sandwich bag, snipped off the corner of the bag and "Piped" it onto the problem area, then smoothed with a Q-Tip. I've used cooking spray too. Both of them have worked. Good luck. (04/26/2007)

By Cali's Mom

RE: Fixing Squeaky Office Chairs

WD40 seems to dry up after a week or so. We have found the silicone spray lasts longer. I also think that the Vasoline trick may be even better since that won't dry up at all. (04/26/2007)

By kimmcg

RE: Fixing Squeaky Office Chairs

Vaseline trick works like a charm. Took the seat apart from mount, lubed up all metal contact points, and no more loud squeaks. (08/24/2008)

By OwnerOfNon-SqueakyChair

Home and Garden Repair Furniture ChairsSeptember 14, 2011
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Fixing a Squeaky Shoe
Fixing a Squeaky Shoe
Man Pointing at Brake Rotor
Fixing Squeaky Brakes
Oak Stairs
Fixing Squeaky Stairs
Iron Framed Bed
Fixing a Squeaky Bed
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 6, 2016 at 10:34:50 AM on 10.0.0.123 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsQuestionsArchives
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings