Good Dog Breeds for Hot Weather

I am trying to find the perfect dog for my family. We have lost our Giant Schnauzer of old age we adopted him from the animal shelter. He was going to be put to sleep that night. He had quirks but he was the best dog we ever had. My question is for a family that lives in west texas (very hot in the summer.) I am looking for a breed that will not be miserable in the summer and is a large to giant dog. And has the protectiveness and the loving nature for my family.

Tammy from ROTAN, TEXAS

I'm sure you will find a lot of great information on the Internet regarding your quest. I know what you mean though. I live in Central Florida and our weather is miserable in the Summer. I keep my dogs indoors during that time and let them out to do their 'business' of course and only walk them in the evening. You have to be careful about hot sidewalks. If it's too hot for your bare foot, it's too hot for them. Carry plenty of water for you and your dogs.

I believe most dogs will adapt to most any weather but you certainly wouldn't want to have an English Sheepdog living outside year round in Texas although I'm sure some people do.

I've seen all sorts of dogs here INCLUDING an Old English Sheepdog!! It belongs to a lady who runs a doggie specialty store.

Just a funny about a Mexican Hairless?? lol.

We live in Minnesota,but our summers are hot.We have a furry black cocker cross who is a heat magnet in summer.To keep her comfortable we have her clipped early in the summer and by the time cool weather comes she has grown out her hair again,It takes a little getting use to only half the dog she use to be.

Well, I have fallen in love with an Akita(Japanese Temple dog) he's not mine and won't be as I live in a second floor apartment, no private yard. However,he is a large breed dog, beautiful, gentle, quiet, yet an excellent guard dog.

Here in Victoria Australia we get VERY HOT summers, yet Wolfie.(his name) seems to do well.

One would take all the usual hot weather precautions, shade, plenty of drinking water, walkies only in the early morning, or evening when cooler.

well i would recommend going to a shelter in the area. spca or humane society has many wonderful dogs both purebred and mixes. in fact many of the purebred dogs end up in the shelters anyway. also you could call a breed specific rescue.

Whatever you do, keep a kiddypool of water for any dog to dip into, and change the water twice a week.

It'll be a life saver and is being used in doggie parks across the nation. Toss in a couple of trays of ice cubes as often as you can, into both the pool and the dog's water bowl. He/she'll thank you for it!!

Remember the heartworm problem since it will be an outdoor dog? Good luck. : )

I have an Akita. He was born in Mesa, Arizona (YES, PHOENIX!). I moved him to Prescott, Arizona, where at a mile high it is much less hot. However, his parents still live in Mesa and do just fine. They go out when they want to, and they have a kiddie pool to cool off in at their leisure. I've brought my Akita, Raja, to 25 states by now on vacations, and this is including all of the hot southern states, in the summer. He appreciates Air Conditioning, but even wants to go outside for a little while when it's hot. This dog is truly adaptable! Get the dog you love, and it will adapt.

...Kyle and Lori Ollom Tighe

I live in Southern CA and have a German Shepherd mix. It is currently pretty hot here and he is taking it just okay. He pants a lot and lays in front of the fan (which we put out to make it a little more comfortable for him). He IS an older dog, so he is taking the weather a little harder than if he were still a puppy. My suggestion is: German shepherd's aren't the GREATEST dogs for hot weather, but they do okay if you give them plenty of cold water and a fan! (May I suggest shorter haired breeds, but stay away from boxers, because they have a hard time cooling off in hot weather! good luck

Pets Dogs AdviceDecember 11, 2006
A dog drinking water on a hot day.
Keeping Your Dog Safe in Hot Weather
Pink rose with bumble bee.
Growing Roses in Hot Weather
a girl and her dog
Dog Breeds That Are Good With Kids
Hot Weather Cooking
Hot Weather Cooking Tips