Tips to Curb Cigarette Cravings

I am trying to quit smoking. Any tips on how to control cravings for the cigarettes?. I am doing well on Wellbutrin to where I am down to 6 a day. I am using candy to help with some. Does anyone have any tips as to how to cut back even more and stop smoking for good?

Cinnamon altoids help the cravings.

Something I heard a long time ago is empty your ashtrys into a glass jar with a lid, add a little water & shake. Whenever you feel a craving, open & take a few big nosefulls. It will be repulsive hopefully, but also the addicted cells/brain or whatever, may derive some satisfaction from the concentrated scent.

I found that the hardest part of kicking the habit was satiating the craving for oral gratification. After three days of no smoking, the nicotine will have left your body, but the craving to suck lasts a lot longer.

If you buy a box of THIN (not standard) straws, and take a long gratifying sip of something thick (yummy doesn't hurt lol) liquid, that's half the battle. You can use small (1/4 - 1/2 cup) ice cream shakes, cream soup, ANYTHING that can be drawn through a straw that has texture causing you to use stronger than average suction) will help.

The more water you drink, the less cravings you have. I hope you aren't trying to quit chocolate or something else at the same time. Quitting cigarettes is enough for now. Remind yourself the cravings will pass in just a few minutes and go on with your life. When you've quit for two weeks, you'll feel healthier and more determined. After a month, you'll be able to look back and think it was so much easier than you are able to imagine on this end of the job. Don't be surprised that cravings continue to come for years and years---they're easier and easier and easier to get through. I smoked for over 21 years and have now been without them for 13 years and hardly ever give them a thought. I'll be praying for your success!

Also, make sure you avoid the "triggers"...my best friend lived in another state when I was quitting...I asked her not to call me for awhile...because as soon as she called...I would grab the cigarettes and ashtray and "settle in". I also had to avoid reading for a while, as it was my habit to relax with my book and cigarettes. I did puzzles for a while to occupy my hands during down time. That was replaced by sewing. I will be "clean" 15 YEARS in January and I can not lie..cravings and desire lasted for years...mostly the desire. GOOD LUCK

When I quit smoking I first tried to cut back. Instead of having a cigarette right after a meal or morning coffee I would wait 30 minutes. I also made other changes like not smoking in the car, etc. Once I actually quit smoking I used nicotine gum and regular chewing gum. Both before actually quiting and after I quit I said lots and LOTS of prayers. Just take it one minute at a time. Its important to remember that whether you use gum, meds, or a patch your mind will still crave smoking. There is no magic thing to take or do that will totally get through the cravings. Once I got through the first day I felt like I could get through every day after that even with cravings. Good luck!

I personally used black licorice. I chewed & sucked on them after they had hardened from laying out with the package opened into the air.

Even after 13 years without a cigarette, I still have an urge for one but I do not partake of that urge because it has been so many years. I'd hate to be called a quitter for nothing!

Good luck it can be done ;}

Many years ago my husband when to a stop smoking group and the entire time they were told to collect all of their cigarette butts in a large jar that had only a little water in the bottom. When they were told by the instructor to smoke their last cigarette, they were also told that whenever the urge hits them to start to smoke again, they were to open the lid on the jar and take a long wiff of the odor. My husband had to smell the jar just once and he has not smoked in 32 years. Hope it helps!!!

I, too, smoked for over 28 years. I "slowed" down my smoking several times but only found myself after awhile, smoking more. Some great advice to me was when you're ready to quit, you'll do just that--but you have to understand that you CAN'T HAVE EVEN ONE. Now, I agree with crazypete on the cravings. I have quit for 8 1/2 years. Still get cravings once in a while.

Also, just wanted to tell you that I used cinnamon breath sprays, the strong ones, whenever I wanted a cigarette. Chewed lots of gum, sucked on lolipops. Didn't care about gaining weight because it was healthier to quit smoking.

Hope I was some help.

There is a new drug out called Chantix by Phizer. Ask your doctor. I wish you much luck. Quitting is SO worth it!

Hi Amy,

Congratulations, you are doing a heroic thing. You and everyone who loves you will be happier and healthier now. You get to leave the fear and embarrassment behind and you will feel more powerful every day of your life.

I used to lead weekend retreats where people came to quit smoking. I put together a series of 'lessons' that is available free online. Take a look at it by google-ing "SmokeFree Star" It should be the first thing that comes up.

My email address is there too, so feel free to email me for support.

Jeneene

Hi Amy,

God bless you and good luck with quiting smoking. I smoked for 30 years and was smoking 3 packs a day, when I quit cold turkey. You have to really want to. I found that brushing my teeth and saying a prayer for help from God helped me to quit. Also when you have a craving, go for a long walk. Do anything that will get your mind off of it. Please stay away from the candy. It will only cause another bad habit that will be hard to break and you will probably gain weight besides.

Good Luck and God Bless you. I'll pray for you also.

Many years ago, then-President Eisenhower had a heart attack and, subsequently, quit smoking. A few weeks later, after a reporter asked him if he thought he would ever start back to smoking again, Eisenhower replied, "Well, I can't guarantee you that I won't ever start back to smoking, but I can guarantee you that I'll never QUIT again!!" Every time you want to light up a cigarette, think about how hard it was to quit in the first place and don't put yourself into a position of having to quit again!

Try Chantix. Really works. Stay on it for the full 90 days. I did not and paid the price, but held off so far. It has been 16 weeks. Getting better little by little.

It has been 14 weeks for me. I wanted to quit really bad but knew I couldn't do on my own. A friend told me they quit by getting hypnotized. You can't go to just any one. This lady was a clinichel doc. And because I had the want she helped me do the rest. And when I did have a craving, I would eat a orange, because it would take time to peel and to eat. Those were my substitute. And you REALLY don't know what a smoker smells like until you are a non-smoker. PLEASE QUIT BEFORE YOU GET COPD LIKE ME OR SOMETHING ELSE.

I am on my fourth day of quitting. I don't really know if I can go much longer, but it seems like all I want is a cigarette, but when I think of smoking I get depressed. How long does this last? Seriously, for years?!

I was told to use half a teaspoon of tartar in a glass of orange juice,drink in the morning (really helps with cravings).

I had smoked for over 45 years and quit cold turkey for health reasons. I joined the American Cancer Association's Freedom From Smoking Program. It's free and very helpful. From there, I joined woofmang.com, a quit-smoking site where I received unbelievable support from others who were in the process of quitting and those who had been quit for some time.

I've been quit for over 5 years now and still visit woofmang.com regularly. I wish you luck. There's nothing like being a non-smoker; dollar savings, sense of smell and taste, having a home and car that smell fresh, etc. The list is endless.

Ask about the drug Zyban from your doctor. I've quit 10 years ago using Zyban; I smoked for 40 years 1 pack per day. Although Zyban cost me a lot (90.00 per month at the time) it was the ONLY thing that did it for me. Do note to be sure to take it for 2 months (not just the 1 month to save money). It was the 2nd month that helped get by the worse of the desire. You might also look Zyban up on the internet IF you have any doubts or questions.

Please be careful of the chantix it does have some bad side affects. One of the things it made me want to stop was living.

I still smoke but am still working on the right cure for me. I have not hear of the butts in a jar I will have to try that one.

For me, the hardest part was the habbits. When I got up in the morning, I went to the bathroom, where I kept a package of cig's, a lighter, and an ashtray, so I sat and enjoyed my first smoke, I then made it to the kitchen, where I also kept cig's, lighter and ashtray, so had cig's with my morning coffee, Next I had to check my email, and of course I had to smoke while I waited on my slow dial up. By the time I got around to doing housework, chances are that I had already smoked a pack of cig's. Doing housework was no break either because I had cig's, lighters, and ashtrays in every room. The habits want to stay with me, long after the desire for the cig's do - and food adds more weight - which I didn't need - but I'm still not smoking

Amy - I smoked for 43 years. I had tried everything on the market but found the only thing that worked was patches. They didn't curb my desire for the cigarette but while I had them on I was too afraid to smoke for fear I would have a heart attack or stroke. I started eating chocolate licorice - nibbling actually. It has been 2 1/2 years. I have given up on the habit of the licorice by now but still keep some in the car, computer anywhere I associated smoking with as I still revert back to the habit of a hand to mouth habit.

It worked for me and a friend's husband. They are only 30 calories each. I would cut them in pieces and tuck them in my purse and nibble even in church. you might try the strawberry but for me it was the chocolate kind. Good luck. Stick with it and before you know it you won't even think of a cigarette. I believe it is mostly habit and not an addiction to tobacco. I missed the habit more than the tobacco.

Quit Smoking
Quitting Smoking
Health & Beauty AdviceOctober 25, 2007
Piano Keyboard
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors From a Piano
Cigarette Left Burning in Ashtray
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Leather
cigarette smell computer
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors from a Computer
E-Cigarettes
Using Electronic Cigarettes to Quit Smoking
🎉
🎄