Food Ideas

I am looking for food ideas to take to a family whose father just died. I need need to do something.

Thanks,
Ally from California

Make a comfort-food casserole/one pot meal sort of dish. Chicken broccoli rice casserole is a good one--check recipezaar.com for recipes. Add a salad if you wish. Deliver the casserole in a disposable pan so that the grieving family has no cleanup and no pan to return.

Many years ago a dear friend's mother died and allthe family came to the mother's house. All kinds of dishes were brought for meals: lunch or dinner or supper...Nobody had thought about breakfast. I took eggs, bacon, grits, coffee, cereal, milk, etc and put it in the fridge for them. Nobody had to deal with going to the store or a restaurant for breakfast. My friend later told me that was the best meal gift of all.

I usually take a Baked Ravioli Casserole. It is both an easy to make and satisfying comfort meal.

To make it, I use 1 bag of Cheese Ravioli found in the freezer section of most grocery stores, hamburger meat (browned with Lawry's seasoning salt minced garlic and chopped onions), a jar of ready made spaghetti sauce (followed by full jar of water in that jar to get all the sauce out), package of McCormick's Spaghetti Mix, and small can of tomato paste. After hamburger is browned & drained, add all the above ingredients and heat through. Put a small amount of sauce mixtrue in a Lasagna pan, follow with layer of the cheese raviolis, then cheese (I use a blend of Mozz and Cheddar), top with Parmesan Cheese. Repeat the layers until the Raviolis are all used. Bake in 350 deg oven for about 30 minutes. Remove from oven and add a layer of cheeses; return to oven...watch closely until cheese is lightly browned and bubbly.

When my grandpa died I baked 2 whole chickens. I gave them a 'basic' rub. Garlic and onion powders, season salt and such. The plus was that it went with all the little side dishes i.e pasta salad etc. that others brought, and the leftovers can be reheated or eaten cold.

Here in NW Iowa people bring all kinds of food when there is death in a family. I usually take Pop or Soda's, paper plates and coffee to the families as they are things they usually use a lot of.

hsorbits has a great idea...breakfasts meals, although some may not feel like eating.

Also, remember the loss may feel greater once everyone is gone. I know I sure felt this way. Perhaps 10 days or so after the funeral & distant relatives/friends and visitors have left, bring a meal or several items that can become a few meals to them.

I recently sent this over to my neighbors who lost a loved one. I made a huge pan a baked ziti, 2 large loaves of garlic bread. 3 bottles of soda and 12 bagels, and 12 donuts (I had coupons for the donuts & bagels!). I Knew they had alot of people coming and going so I just tried to help. It really didnt cost much to make and It was much appreciated.

If out of towners are in the picture I go and get pop, flavored water & canned juices. I also take toilet paper, napkins & paper toweling.

You can get a whole pork loin for about $2.00lb. Roast it... slice it.. make some gravy.. put it all in a disposable pan and take some rolls to go with it. Good for lunches.. or dinners. You can also make a big pan of 'funeral potatoes'. Recipe found everywhere on the internet. They are easy, creamy and delicious.

whatever you do, send it in a disposable dish that doesn't have to returned, and can be freezer-ready if the family is given more than they can eat.

A potato or macaroni salad always is acceptable. Even a simple jell-0 type salad would be good to take to them.

Sometime I take egg salad sandwiches I cut them in quarters. & a fruit salad. Easy & cheap

Christine L

i am from the South and spiral ham is a very common "funeral food" to take by the familys' house and dont forget a couple packs of rolls, another thing i take is a simple homemade macoroni and cheese, or a pan of lasagna

Food and Recipes Recipes AdviceMay 15, 2007
Woman Holding Her Mouth With Chili Pepper
Stopping the Burn from Spicy Food
Wedding Fruit Platter
Casual Wedding Food Ideas
Fresh Fruit Cakes Being PRepared
Party Food Ideas
🎄