Easy Peeling and Cutting of Sweet Potatoes and Yams

Is there an easy way to peel and cut up raw sweet potatoes and yams?

By Joan from Sioux Falls, SD

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

As far as cutting them up after peeling just use a sharp knife.

As far as peeling I simply use a potato peeler. They're really inexpensive and usually no more than a couple of dollars at the market/grocery store. They're easier to use than with a paring knife and take off the peel only and not have to worry about loosing any of the 'meat'.

There are a couple different kinds but this is the one I've used and have had it since I moved away from home in 1972 ;-)

Yes! Boil them until almost done. You can turn off the heat early, and let them continue to set in the hot water to finish cooking. The skins slip right off. I do this the day before I need them, then cut them in rounds and put the brown sugar, nuts, etc. on top and warm them in the oven. The skin slips off even if you leave them on until the potato is cold.

I peel sweet potatoes before cooking with a potato peeler. Then I dice them, stir them in the dish with some water; cover and microwave several minutes. Then stir them again making sure they are still moist. Adding a bit more water if necessary. Microwave a few minutes more. Stir and microwave till tender, then use them as desired.

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

Food and Recipes Food Tips VegetablesDecember 10, 2009
Freezing Potatoes, Potatoes on white background
Freezing Potatoes
sliced sweet potato
Recipes Using Yams (Sweet Potatoes)
Small stack of nectarines against white background.
Peeling Nectarines
growing sweet potatoes
Growing Sweet Potatoes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 19, 2016 at 5:21:41 PM on 10.0.0.214 in 799 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.