Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Removing Permanent Marker from Walls

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Removing Permanent Marker Off Walls

When your child uses the wall as their canvas or your accidentally get permanent marker on the wall it needs to be cleaned off carefully. This is a guide about removing permanent marker from walls.

Solutions: Removing Permanent Marker from Walls

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Permanent Marker On Walls

I have a 4 year old who loves to draw. I read on here that hand sanitizer works to take permanent markers off walls. It sure did, along with a layer of paint, but it did the job. I also tried rubbing alcohol. It didn't do anything.

The next best thing I used for my walls was SOS pads. They leave a blue tinge on the wall after cleaning but they work. It may take a few times to rinse the wall but it worked oh-so-well for me.

I hope it does for other people having the same issue with a small artist.

By Kapree2010 from Victoria, BC

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Removing Permanent Marker from Walls.

Question: Black Sharpie on Walls

How do you get black Sharpie off of white walls?

By Deliana

Question: Removing Permanent Marker from Walls

My two kids got a hold of my permanent marker and scribbled all over their bedroom walls. For a month now, I've been trying everything I can think of to remove it and nothing seems to do the trick. I've tried Totally Awesome, power spray, nail polish remover, rubbing alcohol, Magic Eraser, hair spray, toothpaste, and many others! Please help me.

By Mandy85

Most Recent Answer

By Judy = Oklahoma [57]11/18/2011

I've used Simple Green on permanant marker before & it usually works for me. But if it's been months, it may be so absorbd that it won't all come out. I used the Simple Green full strength with a rag, using a toothbrush in the harder spots. Most of it came out, I had a few barely visible lines left. This was on white painted walls though, so if you have colors, it mught make the color lighter.

Question: Cleaning Permanent Marker Off Walls

How do I get black permanent marker off the walls?

By Bridget from Scottsville, KY

Most Recent Answer

By Tami03/31/2011

Mr Clean Magic Eraser Gets Permanent Marker off items. Hopefully your walls are painted with at least a Semi-Gloss Good Luck!

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Cleaning Permanent Marker off Walls

I was wondering if there was anything to use on my daughter's bedroom wall to get permanent marker off. Typical 2 year old.

Anne from Tasmania, Launceston

RE: Cleaning Permanent Marker off Walls

I tried the, hairspray, it did not work, I also tired the hand sanitizer, it worked really well, but it took the paint off of my wall. The best product has been the Magic Eraser, although it is taking for ever, it works without taking the paint off of my walls. (08/03/2006)

By Jennifer25

RE: Cleaning Permanent Marker off Walls

My Two year old used a sharpie all over my walls and and end table. Colgate whiting Toothpaste with scrub sponge took it right of with a little elbow grease. (08/04/2006)

By

RE: Cleaning Permanent Marker off Walls

WD-40 works wonderfully for removing any types of stains. No scrubbing required!! (08/11/2006)

By Christie

RE: Cleaning Permanent Marker off Walls

Nail polish remover took it off my tape measure. (09/10/2006)

By bonny

RE: Cleaning Permanent Marker off Walls

In our dorm, we got sharpie on our wall. We tried different cleaning agents that we had but found that Colgate toothpaste worked the best with some elbow grease. Specifically it was the "pro-health" toothpaste that had the 'crystals' in it. Cleans it off orange peel walls with semigloss. (09/24/2006)

By Philip Szelagowski

RE: Cleaning Permanent Marker off Walls

Try an old sock and some astringent. WORKS THE BEST. It usually comes off with one wipe! (06/25/2007)

By

Cleaning Marker off Walls

WOW! Thanks to all who suggested Hand Sanitizer. I have never seen anything work so well. You are life savers! (09/07/2007)

By Jessica

RE: Cleaning Permanent Marker off Walls

Dawn Power Dissolver removes any permanent marker off anything and fast. Even clothes. It is amazing. It doesn't bleach the color or remove paint! (11/17/2007)

By ChaoticMom

RE: Cleaning Permanent Marker off Walls

Vinegar works wonders, hint - hint (12/30/2007)

By Taylor

RE: Cleaning Permanent Marker off Walls

Thank goodness for this site and my son's preschool teacher's advice. After reading these posts I tried the hand sanitizer and it worked well but also took the paint off. Then I tried the preschool teacher's advice and used Comet powder with a wet washcloth and it really did the trick on the Sharpie marker on our walls. Hopefully making my 4 year old do much of the scrubbing will deter any repeat offenses - also suggested by his teacher:-) (02/15/2008)

By Janet

Do you hate when your children or brothers and sisters get permanent marker stains on the wall? Well, I have a solution for you and its very simple. All you have to do is use any toothpaste (maybe Colgate) and wipe the mark away. Works every time!

RE: Cleaning Permanent Marker or Crayon off Walls

Try using a product called "Erase" by Zep. It takes it all off! (10/14/2005)

By ladybug

Mr. Clean Eraser works for this too! (10/18/2005)

By mamascott

WD 40 spray and hair spray work (10/19/2005)

By marsbar

Germanex or any alcohol based hand sanitizer! It works wonders. And for crayons or pen use an eraser. (12/23/2005)

By Nita

RE: Cleaning Permanent Marker off Walls

I couldn't believe the hand sanitizer really worked. I'm house sitting and my 2 year old made pretty art work with perm. marker. I'm so relieved. Thanks for the advice. (02/01/2006)

By Ms.Denia

RE: Cleaning Permanent Marker off Walls

Germ-X is working awesome in taking off the permanent marker! (03/31/2006)

By maddie N Abby's Mom

RE: Cleaning Permanent Marker off Walls

My year old decided to make his little creations all over my house, my doors are wood and my walls are concrete, I tried the "toothpaste" did not work, so I used nail polish remover, it worked like a charm and did not even take the paint off my walls or damage my wood doors, then I used baby wipes on him! Needless to say he will go in the bathroom when I have to go now... lol! (04/11/2006)

By Sasha J.

RE: Cleaning Permanent Marker off Walls

WOW the hand sanitizer worked GREAT! I am a college student and had made a poster earlier this semester, using my wall as an easel. The permanent marker bled right through the paper! I was so worried I was going to get charged for it - I had tried scrubbing it with Lysol, bleach, and dish soap with no success. Whoever came up with this idea is incredible. Thanks again! (05/11/2006)

By Ellen

cleaning permanent marker of the fridge

Toothpaste is a big no helper and nail-polish remover works great! (06/21/2006)

By initials:AM

RE: Cleaning Permanent Marker off Walls

Go with the hand sanitizer, the toothpaste did Nothing!! Thanks for the tip (06/30/2006)

By Katrina

RE: Cleaning Permanent Marker off Walls

Thank everyone! My son put black maker in my brand new white bed and thank goodness that nail polish remover worked i tried every thing even tears...(lol) but on nail polish remover worked awesome. (07/11/2006)

By Ariel

RE: Cleaning Permanent Marker off Walls

My son drew all over on our outside walls with permanent marker and I just rubbed them with Colgate and cotton balls and they came up 100%! Yay! (07/24/2006)

By Heidi

My renter's little boy wrote with permanent marker all over the walls. It has been about a month and I'm now finding out about it. Is there something extremely good I can use to get it off?

Archive: Cleaning Permanent Marker Off Walls

I have a permanent maker stain on my wall where my son decided to go wild. How should I remove this?

By smathis123 from Murray, KY

RE: Cleaning Permanent Marker Off Walls

Hi! Have you tried a Mr. Clean Eraser? That has worked for me. Good luck! :) (06/10/2009)

By meowsley

RE: Cleaning Permanent Marker Off Walls

There is an awesome product that will take off anything! Usually available at hardware stores such as Ace. It's called "Oops, mistake remover", there is another called "Goof Off" as well. However, hand sanitizer, Axe (or any of those deodorant body sprays) will get off permanent marker, and sometimes regular rubbing alcohol works! (06/16/2009)

By shassan

How do I get Sharpie markers off white walls?