Removing Permanent Marker from Walls

When your child uses the wall as their canvas or your accidentally get permanent marker on the wall it needs to be cleaned off carefully. This is a guide about removing permanent marker from walls.

November 14, 2011 Flag

My two kids got a hold of my permanent marker and scribbled all over their bedroom walls. For a month now, I've been trying everything I can think of to remove it and nothing seems to do the trick. I've tried Totally Awesome, power spray, nail polish remover, rubbing alcohol, Magic Eraser, hair spray, toothpaste, and many others! Please help me.

By Mandy85

I've used Simple Green on permanant marker before & it usually works for me. But if it's been months, it may be so absorbd that it won't all come out. I used the Simple Green full strength with a rag, using a toothbrush in the harder spots. Most of it came out, I had a few barely visible lines left. This was on white painted walls though, so if you have colors, it mught make the color lighter.

Sunlight dish soap and a scrubbing pad, lots of elbow grease.. it works but it's time consuming

May 14, 2010 Flag

I have a 4 year old who loves to draw. I read on here that hand sanitizer works to take permanent markers off walls. It sure did, along with a layer of paint, but it did the job. I also tried rubbing alcohol. It didn't do anything.

The next best thing I used for my walls was SOS pads. They leave a blue tinge on the wall after cleaning but they work. It may take a few times to rinse the wall but it worked oh-so-well for me.

I hope it does for other people having the same issue with a small artist.

By Kapree2010 from Victoria, BC

March 31, 2011 Flag

How do I get black permanent marker off the walls?

By Bridget from Scottsville, KY

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Use a dry erase marker and trace the writing on the walls. It should come right off!

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser gets permanent marker off items. Hopefully your walls are painted with at least a Semi-Gloss. Good Luck!

June 9, 2009 Flag

My renter's little boy wrote with permanent marker all over the walls. It has been about a month and I'm now finding out about it. Is there something extremely good I can use to get it off?

Faith from Nortonville, KY

Answers:

Cleaning Permanent Marker off Walls

Some permanent markers can be totally removed with plain rubbing alcohol and some just fade a bit. It depends on the brand of the marker and the finish of the paint. (of course flat paint is harder to clean and eggshell is much easier) Rubbing Alcohol has worked for me. I put some in a well marked spray bottle and squirted it on to the wall, then waited several seconds then wiped it off.

At Boeing they use Ketone to remove permanent marker, so I understand people saying that fingernail polish remover works because it's usually made with acetone. But what they fail to say it that you need to use the type that does "not" say "for artificial fingernails", because the kind made for fake nails has no acetone in it. (09/11/2008)

By Cyinda

Cleaning Permanent Marker off Walls

Amodex (09/12/2008)

By Graycrab

Cleaning Permanent Marker off Walls

Purell Instant Hand Sanitizer all the way, invisible in seconds. Takes a little unnoticeable paint off, but works like magic. (11/05/2008)

By Chrissy

Cleaning Permanent Marker off Walls

Lava soap. I tried the alcohol and nail polish remover on small test patches, but they seemed to start removing the paint from the wall. The toothpaste was working, but took a lot of elbow grease. Then suddenly I remembered that I'd used Lava soap to remove ink and grease from clothing before. It worked like a charm. Granted, I'd already lightened the marks with the toothpaste, but the soap finished the job with a lot less scrubbing. My sister swears by the Mr. Clean erasers (used one to clean a "mural" of marker off a full wall), but I didn't have one on hand and didn't want the stain to set. (12/06/2008)

By Tired Mom

Cleaning Permanent Marker off Walls

Got black marker pen on the walls, doors? No worries. Just get a special sponge called,"White Magic" and your troubles are over. No chemicals, or detergents just add water and a bit of rub a dub dub. I got my "White Magic" from Howard's Storage World, but who knows where else you could find it. (12/16/2008)

Cleaning Permanent Marker off Walls

While I was doing the dishes my 2 year old decorated the walls with a big Sharpie. I used Ammonia (straight from the bottle). It took it off of all the surfaces, except the one that is done with flat paint and the papered wall. I'll get back to you on that when I figure something out (12/21/2008)

By Jeniffer

Cleaning Permanent Marker off Walls

An organic cleaner with Citrol works wonders. (02/05/2009)

By Randall P.

Cleaning Permanent Marker off Walls

I used alcohol and a toothbrush. The toothbrush worked to get into the different texture of the wall. However, it works a lot better if it is a fresh marking, But I used it on a old marking to it just took a little more scrubbing. (02/08/2009)

Cleaning Permanent Marker off Walls

I tried Magic Erasers, it took the shine off the paint and left the marker. I tried hand sanitizer, took the paint off of the wall. I'm no longer using this stuff on our hands. Dr. Bronner's All in One soaps are miracle workers. Takes permanent marker off with ease. It works on any and all surfaces. Fantastic stuff. You can buy online or health food stores. My 2 year old hit various surfaces just today. Dr. Bronner's saves the day, again. (02/24/2009)

By Jennie

My kid used a sharpie and I didn't see it until we were moving so not sure how long it was there. I used my essential oils. Lemon oil didn't harm the wall or furniture but the marker wiped right off.

March 31, 2011 Flag

I read several posts about removing Sharpie marker off walls and doors and none of the solutions worked for me, so I began experimenting. I found that spraying Bath and Body Works Body Splash on a cotton ball and gently rubbing the mark will remove it with ease. Just be careful, because too much rubbing may remove the paint as well.

By Connie from Redding, CA

Answers:

Cleaning Permanent Marker Off Walls

Doesn't it make you wonder what it does to your body if it cleans it off a wall? lol (01/15/2011)

By Laniegirl

Cleaning Permanent Marker Off Walls

Recently my daughter got hold of a permanent marker and decided to decorate her room. I tried gumption on it and it removed it, but be careful not to scrub to hard or you will remove the paint. Scrub softly. (02/19/2011)

By kylzy007

January 13, 2011 Flag

How do you get marker marks off the wall?

June 6, 2010 Flag
Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.

May 14, 2010 Flag

We manage an apartment complex and some children used permanent markers on the walls, doors and heat registers.

April 30, 2010 Flag

How do I get permanent marker like Sharpie off wall surface?

March 24, 2010 Flag

How do I remove permanent marker from my walls?

December 19, 2009 Flag

How do I get Sharpie markers off white walls?

August 25, 2009 Flag

I have a permanent maker stain on my wall where my son decided to go wild. How should I remove this?

September 11, 2008 Flag

March 4, 2008 Flag

October 12, 2005 Flag
Home and Garden Cleaning WallsAugust 9, 2012
Permanent Markers
Removing Permanent Marker From Vinyl and Linoleum Floor
Permanent Marker
Removing Permanent Marker From Vinyl
A colorful wooden dresser.
Removing Permanent Marker from Wood Furniture
A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from Plastic
🎉
🎄