Mildew Smell from Homemade Laundry Detergent

When I made my liquid laundry detergent, it came out fine. I have noticed since doing laundry with it that it seems the clothes end up with a really odd smell, kind of mildewy. Any ideas? I didn't add any scent, essential oils or anything. I really enjoy having clothes on the line after washing for that fresh from the line smell.

Thanks for any help.

I noticed the same thing with the dry homemade detergent. I add about 1/2 cup baking soda to each load. It seems to help alot. Hope this helps you. Kathy Jones

Isn't it just as expensive to make laundry detergent as to buy some of the generic brands? I don't get it.

I think that one of the main reasons people choose to make their own laundry detergent, etc. is that they can be made without any chemicals, scents (for those allergic), and ingredients that may be harmful to the environment. It may not necessarily be cheaper, but it's a part of living "green".

It costs me under 2 cents per load to make homemade laundry soap. I certainly cannot find a generic that cheap. I've never had my clothes smell funny, just clean and unscented. Could it be the machine that you wash you clothes in that could be causing the problem--maybe the laundromat or an older model front-loader (mildew on the gasket seal)? I've heard that in some places, doing laundry and putting them up during humid weather causes problems. I always soak my clothes for a while before I finish washing them to make sure the dirt and natural oils break down. Maybe this would help.

I would really recommend using vinegar in the rinse, about a cup to cup and a half should work. Vinegar is a mild natural disinfectant .

It is incredibly cheaper not to mention healthier for you and the water supply. We have a well and I wouldn't use anything else now.

Also no plastic jugs or packaging left to deal with. Win/Win/Win

And yes I do put vinegar in the rinse cycle. Removes all the soap, softens the water and clothes, and no static cling.