Browsing: Removing Odors from Clothing

Sour Smelling Clothing

I am looking for help with stinky sour clothing.

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance
Best Answer

Wash them with a cup of vinegar added to the washing machine. Vinegar also kills germs.

Best Answer

Try drying them outside instead of in the dryer.

Best Answer

The sour smell is butyric acid; it's water soluble, but some fabrics take a long time to diffuse out the stuff. One wash cycle isn't always enough. Soak the garment (overnight in a bucket of water) and maybe change the water and give it a second day. One pound of clothes, ten pounds of water, means you diminish the odor maybe 90 percent with every change of fluid.

The problem eventually will go away with just regular washing, too (but each wash is fifteen minutes of water contact, versus fifteen hours of contact if you leave it in a bucket overnight).

Best Answer

Use ammonia in wash & soak after agitating then let sit for a hour or more depending on smell. Then rinse out. Fill wash tub with water with same clothes, add vinegar abt 1/2. Cup then run thru wash cycle as usual. This noally takes.care of any odor. Have used this method many years successfully.

I have alot of pets and large wet dogs...their blankets and quilts they lay on get stinky...i soak over night in 1/4 cup baking soda and a lil odo ban in hot water...then i drain washer and refill and wash in hot water & detergent then rinse twice, i put 1/4 cup vinegar in the first rinse then dry in the hot sun...it helps alot...hot water seems to set stains but helps stinky stuff,with baking soda it seems to loosen up anything caught in the fabric fibers...i love odo ban...i use alot of it...it is not that expensive,alot cheaper than frebreeze because it is consentrated,a gallon last me nearly a year.. a lil goes a long ways if it helps these doggy blankets maybe it will help your clothes...hope so...

Try adding some vinegar to your wash load. Usually helps.

For any foul smell in any cloth, I soak the piece in hottest water the item can take, and a cup of Dollar store "febreeze". I refuse to buy the regular Febreeze laundry smell remover thats over $5.00 a bottle. If my husband brings home gassy or oil smelling clothes, and this doesn't fully remove the "aroma" I have also soaked the item in the bath tub with about 1 cup of cheap laundry softener and a half cup of salt, with just enough water to cover the item, either method, then wash as usual.

Just another laundry tip from my grandma's days, you can whiten whites or remove smells by soaking in a little detergent and water, rinse, then lay items out on the grass until dry (works best if there is dew). Don't know how this works, but grandma always did it and she had beautiful laundry that smelled great.

Here's a few tips that helped me -

- Firstly, check your lint filter regularly to make sure its not blocked and the water is draining properly.

- Dont overload your washing machine.

- To get rid of 'sour-musty' smells, I sometimes do a pre-wash and soak with very hot water and 2 of cups of white vinegar and a big dash of bicarb-soda. Then I drain the water and wash as normal.

- You could also try to keep clothes on a dryer rack in a well ventilated room, rather than in a wardrobe. Or keep the doors open during the day to get some airflow and make sure clothes are not packed too tightly in the wardrobe.

- Use a liquid detergent as it goes to work straight away, whereas powders need time to break down.

Good luck and remember the smells never go away 100%.

This is common in my house (unfortunately)! The sour smell is due to either bacteria growth when wet clothes sit around a while or the over use of detergent. The solution I have found that works for soured wet clothes is to add a little bleach. For the overuse of detergent it is obvious....don't use so much detergent! I haven't tried the vinegar yet, but will definitely try it the next time I have a problem to see if it works.

Stinky Laundry In Washing Machine with Man Holding Nose
Removing Odors from Clothing
Home and Garden Cleaning LaundryAugust 1, 2008
Close up of a rack of vintage clothing
Removing Odors from Vintage Clothing
Woman crouched in front of a front loading dryer smelling a shirt
Removing Odors From Clothing That Was Left in the Washer
A beautiful yard.
Solutions for a Sour Smelling Yard
fresh delicious sour cream
Homemade Sour Cream Recipes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 22, 2016 at 6:06:24 PM on 10.0.0.66 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.