Keeping Your House Smelling Nice With Smokers

Category Odors
This is a guide about keeping your house smelling nice with smokers. If you live with smokers, it can be very hard to keep your house smelling fresh.

How do you keep a smoker's house smelling nice?

By julied140 from KY

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Answers

Best Answer

I mean no offense, but I grew up with 2 heavy smokers, and we lost our sense of smell. I never noticed until I got married and moved out! I don't think you keep a house smelling clean, as long as people smoke indoors daily. When I have visitors that insist on smoking in my home (my mother) I set out bowls of ammonia on surfaces where they can't be seen (behind the photos on the tv, top of bookcases, etc). When she leaves, the liquid it brown! I leave it out till the morning, then pour it down the sink.

Best Answer

I do not smoke but my family does. Two things I/we have done are: anyone smoking has to have a candle lit near them. I understand the special smoker's candles are better, but we have always used voltive candles. The flame of the candle absorbs the smoke in the air, it does not get on clothes etc. I live alone, my kids smoke when they are here and first thing they do is light the candle before the cigarette (or mom will get after them). Also melted wax is saved to make more candles in the future. Second one is to set a bowl or cup of vinegar near by. The vinegar absorbs the smoke and turns dark. When to change the vinegar? Depends on how much smoking is being done. When the top of vinegar gets completely dark, change it. The smell of the vinegar will become unnoticable after a while.

Best Answer

I saw on "How Clean Is Your House?", Kim told a smoker to put baking soda in the ash trays. You can put some lavender essential oil on light bulbs and a few drops with the baking soda in the ash trays.

As far as drawers, closets, car, etc. you can make pomanders by using any citrus fruit: lemon, lime, orange, mandarin and poking holes all over it and placing whole cloves in those holes. Let cure for 1 month and place anywhere you want to have your air fresher.

Open windows and doors when the weather permits and allow air to circulate. Use fans to help circulate air. Use an air purifier and/or air purifying indoor plants. There are plants that thrive in no light at all. Just check on the web and do your research.

When you clean and wipe things down in your home, use a vinegar/water mixture and make it smell better by adding a little lavendar essential oil to it. Vinegar is a really good smoke odor remover. There are many essential oil scents. Just do your looking at places like Super Supplement or GNC.

I don't recommend any strong chemicals because I don't think they work as well. Before you vacuum, sprinkle baking soda on the carpet and sofa and chairs. Let sit for 10 to 30 minutes and vacuum it all up.

If you are just "hanging out" and smoking is part of the fun, open a window and /or turn on a fan. Put some essential oil on light bulbs and make sure the ash trays are ready with baking soda in them.

You can also burn incense at the same time while you are smoking. Those are my ideas guys, hope they are helpful.

Remember, there are many people out there with asthma and smoking outside isn't always the answer for that reason because the wind may be blowing it into someones windows that has asthma and a few minutes later they are forced to use their rescue inhaler, ll because someone thought it would be better to smoke outside.

I am under house arrest, in my brother's home. My brother is a heavy smoker, it's his house, and his wife is a heavy smoke also. I don't smoke; I hate it. What can I do to get a smoke free environment? Asking them to just stop, is out of the question. I have bought candles to try and help to no avail.
Thanks.

the thing to do is to make your room a smoke free sanctuary, and make sure that at least in your room you are free of that

- if you can afford it, you can purchase an air purifier with an activated carbon filter - http://homeairg  moke-cigar-odor/

- launder every cloth surface in the room, including the carpet. THat means, bedding, sheets, pillows, curtains, etc. Rent a carpet cleaner, or use baking soda to clean it

- leave a cup of coffee grounds around. This absorbs odours

- leave a cup of vinegar. The smell combats the tars that create odours. If you can, via having a microwave oven or hot plate in the room, heat up the vinegar to activate the odour-removing properties. Another thing to do if you can heat water is to heat orange peels.

- leavce these activated charcoal satchets around, they absorb odours - https://www.ama  56766375f25080ba

Here are some guides with more ideas:

http://www.getr  -of-smoke-smell/

Can you go outside? I would try to get as much fresh air as possible. Its not just the smell, its also what it does to your lungs and health.

I understand the health concerns, but you are in someone else's home, and it's their home, so they can do what they want. Hopefully you have your own space. Charcoal does absorb the odors. It would be nice if you could convince them to stop smoking, but I wouldn't count on it.

I assume you have some kind of probation or pre-trial officer assigned to this case. You could tell him/her your situation and maybe they can move the location of your house arrest.

Can you open your bedroom window several hours daily and freshen the air? You could replace the a/c filter weekly, also there is a product that's enzymatic sold by tobacco stores and online called Odor Exterminator. It comes in many scents. A Himalayan salt lamp neutralizes negative ions and removes them. So in your brothers area use the spray , in your area use spray plus get a salt rock lamp. I know Bed Bath and Beyond sells them. One last thought is a diffuser humidifier with essentials oils in it.

Washing everything in your room, opening a window (even just a crack), a small container of vinegar, a Himalayan salt lamp and a spritz of Febreeze might help. Don't forget to keep your bedroom door closed.

i have the same problem but with my parents try getting incense and keeping your bedroom door closed at all times. if you have a window open it during the day. vacuum your room often if you have carpet. if your clothes smell bad put a dryer sheet in your drawers. 3 or 4 times a month put your bed set either in a dryer with dryer sheets or let them air out side then put baby powder and backing soda on your mattress before you put your bed set back on. try not to keep dirty cloths in your room they collect smoke.

Having a nice smelling home is hard at times. We have smokers here and also 2 dogs and a cat, so pet odors are more than likely present. I'm wondering if anyone has some ideas on how I can keep my house smelling clean and fresh.

Thanks for any help.

Yvonne from Ontario

Answers:

Keeping Your House Smelling Nice With Smokers and Pets

I heard that if you boil vermouth on the stove in water you can clean the air of almost everything that smells bad. You could also try boiling spices on your stove, that works for sure. (01/05/2006)

By Colleen from Ottawa

I boil vinegar on the stove to get rid of the smoke odor. My girlfriend places a small cup of vinegar in the room when people smoke. My son lights incense. I love the smell of apple pie spice and vanilla simmering on the stove.

Love & Prayers, Linda (01/05/2006)

By lindaljh1

Hi Yvonne,

Along the same lines as Linda and Colleen, I bought some potpourri that doesn't do much if you put it out in a dish, but if I simmer it on the stove, the scent goes all over my 1-BR apt. And if you buy a fairly good quality potpourri (I know it can be expensive) you can keep using it over and over.

But the thing with simmering on the stove is the evaporating water! It can be dangerous (for me and other absent-minded people) because it's easy to forget to keep an eye on it. But it's great if you have visitors coming over, because it smells nice as soon as you walk in the door.

I also put some Bounce sheets in a very tiny vase in my bathroom and the scent lasts for days. Looks a little silly, but smells great!

Hope that helps,
Donna M. (01/06/2006)

By Ladymadonna

Placing baking soda in the ash trays and also in the litter boxes. You can shake some on the carpet and let it sit in for few minutes before you vacuum. You can also add things like cinnamon or nutmeg, or lemon peel (dried spices) to the baking soda and then sprinkle it on your floor before vacuuming. It's natural so it doesn't hurt animals. (01/06/2006)

By onixxx888

Love all the ideas. Thanks so much everyone!

Hugs, Yvonne (01/06/2006)

By Canookie

All smoking OUTSIDE to start with. Much healthier for any who don't smoke. Less smell inside. (01/06/2006)

By aardvark

Try dabbing a little vanilla on your light bulbs. Also you can put cotton balls with vanilla on them around in hidden places. (01/07/2006)

By Bonnie

After the holidays I bought some apple spice tea/ mulling spice at a very good price (75% off). I put 2 of the tea bags, a few whole cloves, and 1/2 of a small cinnamon stick (several pieces from the 99 cent store) in my electric potpourri pot. I have arthritis in my hands so I use pliers to break the cinnamon sticks. I now use just one tea bag and it makes the whole house smell nice. Now and then I have to go to the kitchen anyway so I can add hot water as needed to the pot. Just set an alarm clock to ring before you go to bed (or leave the house) to remind yourself to unplug the simmering pot. (04/12/2006)

By Great Granny Vi

I'm a smoker also. I keep baking soda in my ashtrays, empty often, and I empty and clean them at night. Also a couple times a week before I go to bed I sprinkle all my carpets with baking soda and vacuum the next morning. (06/08/2008)

By keeper60

Every morning I open all my windows. No matter what season (summer open them early) I burn oils from bath and body works, and man are they nice! I have two cats and everyone that comes to my house is very surprised that my house doesn't smell. I also keep my whole house very clean. I make sure no dishes are left out, blinds wiped at least once a month, I change my sheets every week, wipe the bathroom down everyday, and damp mop my hardwood floors everyday. (06/25/2008)

By KJ