Cleaning a Large Area Rug

By Rhoda Willis 2

How do you clean a 10x12 carpet? Thank you for all answers!

By Rhoda

Filter Sort

By tank 2 3 Flag

I have had great success using a power washer on my large area rugs. I lay it out on the driveway where I proceed with the power wash. To speed up the drying process, roll the carpet from end to end. Then stand it up on it's end. This will drain the water out quicker and will make it easier to move in a shorter period of time.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Archive: Cleaning a Large Area Rug

I have a large, room-sized area rug that really needs to be cleaned and I have no idea how to go about doing it. Does anyone have any suggestions? This thing is so big that it won't fit in even the largest of machines at our laundromat. I have no idea what to do. I want it cleaned soon, as our daughter is getting married in early June and I want it to look nice with all the people we will have coming.

Robin

Feedback:

RE: How Do you clean a large area rug?

Your local Dry cleaner will clean it for you, or you can go to Lowe's or Home Depot and purchase a product called, "Capture". You sprinkle on the powdered cleaner, work it into the carpet with a brush, let it sit, then vacuum. It does a great job. Good Luck! (03/05/2005)

By Marn

RE: Cleaning a Large Area Rug

You can have it cleaned by the guys who come out with their trucks to steam clean house carpets. (05/16/2005)

By Katie A.

RE: Cleaning a Large Area Rug

About your rug, sometimes there are places you can send your rugs out to be cleaned. I'd recommend hanging it outside and beating it to get most of the dirt out of it. That's the really old fashioned way.

You may be able to clean it with some of that dry carpet cleaner. That works pretty well and will freshen it up.
Susan from ThriftyFun (05/17/2005)

By ThriftyFun

RE: Cleaning a Large Area Rug

If you have a power washer just spray it down, then shake it out and let it dry in the sun. Works great! (05/18/2005)

RE: Cleaning a Large Area Rug

You can also use a carpet cleaner, or even a small carpet wet/dry carpet hand held cleaner and just do the whole thing. (05/18/2005)

RE: Cleaning a Large Area Rug

You don't say what kind of area rug it is. If it is a seamed rug, for example, a two or three color rug with borders or designs, or a carved rug, you would not want to beat it as it will break the seams. Either call a professional cleaner or rent a steam cleaner and clean it yourself. Most steam cleaners come with very explicit instructions. Stanley Steamer has always done a professional job in my area and is reasonable in price. (06/04/2005)

By Christine

RE: Cleaning a Large Area Rug

Well, I am about to take mine out and hang it over the porch railing. Going to put laundry soap in a spray bottle and spray it on, then take the garden hose to it. I'll let you know if it works! :) (05/12/2008)

By Jam221

RE: Cleaning a Large Area Rug

A while back, someone posted a tip about taking your large rugs to the car wash. (09/26/2008)

By Mary Moo

RE: Cleaning a Large Area Rug

Found it! Here's what she had to say:

Take your area rugs to the car wash to get them super clean! I have done this numerous times with a helper and a truck, and know others who do the same. It's amazing to see the dirt run out off the rug! Then roll them up and load them onto the back of a truck. At home lay the rugs out to dry on the grass or on a sturdy fence.

By melody_yesterday from Sedalia, MO (09/26/2008)

By Mary Moo

RE: Cleaning a Large Area Rug

What I do is put it in the bath, let it fill with warm water, then walk on it. I add soap then walk on it for a few minutes, then if you can add some ammonia. Then you will see the dirt come right off. You repeat the step until you see no more dirt. Then hang it to dry. I hope this will help. (11/08/2008)

By glenda3love.

Archive: Cleaning a Large Area Rug

How do I get a red stain out of carpet? It is a large area rug.

By stainsite from Washburn, TN

Feedback:

RE: Cleaning a Large Area Rug

If it's a natural "organic" stain like wine or juice use peroxide. Just spray or pour it on, wait 15 minutes then repeat and blot. No need to rinse. The peroxide will fizz the stain away. It's simply amazing! This will not work with a food dye like Kool-aid or Jello.
* Be sure to first test the carpet for colorfastness in an area you won't see. (09/16/2009)

By Cyinda

RE: Cleaning a Large Area Rug

Take it outside and use a power washer on it. (09/18/2009)

By Danialle

Downward photo of an area rug in a lobby
Cleaning Area Rugs
Next
Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceJuly 24, 2010
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
ornamental rug
Removing Rug Dye from Carpet
Cleaning a Sheepskin Rug
Cleaning a Sheepskin Rug
Cleaning Area Rugs
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 11, 2016 at 2:06:39 PM on 10.0.1.117 in 728 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

AnswersArchives
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings