Cleaning the filter on a vacuum.

I bought a used vacuum cleaner and love it but it has a filter on it that is really dirty. I was wondering if there is a way I can clean the filter so that I don't have to go out and buy a new one right now? The vaccum is a bagless one that has the canister that catches the dirt and the filter I'm referring to fits down inside the canister. Thanks for any ideas!

I bought a new bagless vacuum cleaner with a filter in the canister. I just unscrew the top and pull out the round filter and take it outside and bang on the grass. It saves alot of money--otherwise it cost around 22.00 for a new one. Hope this helps you.

If you can take the filter completely out I would try taking it & a blow dryer outside .Hook the blowdryer up to a strong outside power cord & try blowing the crud out.No or very low heat & Highest speed of blowing.

I had to use a blow dryer outside when I carelessly left the van window open & it Poured down rain,UGH.

If this ever happens to you,soak up some of the water with weighted newspapers & or towels first.

I do what Jenie & Linne suggeted in addition to brushing it with a dust broom the soft kind you can buy at the dollar store.

Liz

Remove the filter from the vac, take an old toothbrush and brush through all the cracks. Then lightly bang it on a hard surface to remove all the dust and dirt. If you really want it cleaned, take some dishwashing soap, squirt it on the outside of the filter and with a water hose that has a sprayer attached, clean the filter from the inside out. It will look like a brand new filter.

Since the vacuum is used, you could try to find the manual online on the company's website. It might say it might be able to be washed. I can wash my Kenmore's in warm soapy water (yes, it's paper-I thought they were nuts, too.) Try banging it outside (it makes a mess!) good luck

I have a bagless vacuum cleaner (Bissell). The dust canister can be removed. After vacuuming I remove the filterand the little canister and wash them both in warm soapy wter. I make sure they`re both thoroughly dried before replacing them into the vacuum Been doing this with this vac for over 2 years & it`s fine. There is a HEPA filter as well on the side and this is for cleaning the air. I`ve replaced it just once so far as I vacuum it aftermy rooms etc. are cleaned.

We have an air tank (for filling up tires and such). I regularly use the tank to blow the vacuum filter and parts. My vacuums last for years!

A dirty filter will seriously make other parts break. If you don't have an air tank (which I think it is rare to have one honestly lol) I'd use a shop vac or take it to the interstate vacuum for 50 cents. I hope you find something awesome that works for you ;-)

I posted a tip a while back on cleaning the filter on a bagless vacuum cleaner. In the winter I couldn't reach a cement wall outside due to so much snow where I usually banged the dirt out of the filter. So I used another vacuum cleaner that I keep upstairs to suck the dirt out of the filter. It was much less messy. Also a dust buster might work for this.

Home and Garden Cleaning Cleaning ToolsMay 6, 2004
Upclose photo of beige carpet.
Cleaning Carpets Without a Vacuum
Well Water
Cleaning A Well Water Filter
Dishwasher
Cleaning the Filter Screen in a Dishwasher
Range Hood Filter
Cleaning a Range Hood Filter
🎉
🎄