StylingHair Tips

Vintage Marcel Wave Techniques

I am looking for techniques to pull off the Marcel wave. If any of you ladies know how to create the look I would appreciate it. Thanks. My hair is short to medium length, it touches my shoulders.

By tomnsaby from Albuquerque, NM

I do not know how they do it in salons--it is a beautiful look, and I love to see some of the young actresses with it!

I used to have to fix my aunt's hair like that. I would wet it, and cover it wil Dippity Do ( I don't think they make it anymore), then smooth it down, and form the waves---and every other 'wave' would put a clip in to hold it until it dried.

The silver clips with the smooth jaws that open and close.

Anonymous

As far as I know Cosmetologists are still required to know how to make both a hot iron Marcel Wave and wet Marcel Fingerwave. It's complicated to explain in 'words only' so maybe you can contact a local Beauty School or Salon who might be willing to demonstrate it for you :-) There are also 'triple barrel' hot irons on the market that make it easier to reach the effect but a good one is expensive. I lost my Cosmetology study book (1972) years ago but I still have my daddy's (1954) and could try to scan and email the hot iron and the wet instruction pages that also show drawings to you if you're interested :-) If so, just click on my contact button here and let me have your email address :-) Hope this helps :-)