Fixing a Perm That Lost Its Curl

Category Styling
If your perm has lost it's curl, there may be some ways to get it back. This is a guide about fixing a perm that lost its curl.

I had a perm done late night two nights ago. We got done with it at about 2am. It looked great. I went home and went to sleep. When I got up I spritzed it with cool water put a little product in it and went about my day.

Then this morning I had to take a shower so I took a cool one so I didn't ruin the perm. I did rinse it. I was told that it was OK to rinse it as long as it was cool water. When I got out I ran my fingers through it to get most the tangles out. Then I used a wide tooth comb just like I was told to. As I combed it, it started going straight.

I thought maybe it was just because it was wet. I put a little curl creme through it and used a diffuser to dry it, exactly how I was told to. I flipped my head upside down and everything. Once it was pretty much dry it looked curly. Then when I was trying to style it and was using the wide tooth comb to pick out some of the tangles it just started flattening.

Now most the curl is gone, it just looks like a frizzy mess.

I work at Sally beauty supply so I know about how perms work, but not a lot. We used a Quantum perm in the red box, just in case anyone knows that perm and how well it works.

So I was wondering a few things. Even though my hair was so curly the first night is it possible that the perm just didn't take? And if so, how can I get it to take? Can I even do another perm? My hair is pretty dried out. It's not falling out or anything, just very dry. Also we sell deep conditioners and things at my work, but if anyone knows any better way to also get more moisture in my hair that would be awesome.

By julieanne from Asheville, NC

Answers

Best Answer

I have had perms all my life. I have always rinsed my hair with no problem in loosing the curl.. I took my daughter to a salon to have a perm done, at first it was beautiful then within 24 hrs the perm left her hair. I took her back to the salon and what they found out was that her hair soaks up water.

This meant that the perm solution could not soak in her hair. They had to put her under a hair drier for some time to help with this. You might as a professional if this could be your type of situation too.
I might be different but I have never had problems rinsing my hair in the shower and I always put a little cream rinse on it so it is managable.

Anonymous
Best Answer

pmlparrott, just remined me of a situation a couple decades ago. I was working in a large upscale salon and one particular evening three perms were being done by three different stylists. The clients were all regulars and the same solutions for each were used as had been done for each before. Anyway, it was an extemely humid summer evening. All three of those perms had to be re-done. I am wondering if there were humid conditions in your environment the night you had your perm done?

It wasn't humid inside the salon but it was very humid outside and one has to go outside to get home. Was it raining or moist snow conditions outside? Even with an umbrella the moisture in the air could have possibly affected your hair. Come to think of it, even alot of steam from the shower could affect the perm if not wearing a shower cap.

I got a perm a little over 24 hours ago and it looked great, nice and curly. I noticed a few hours ago that the front seemed to be falling quite a bit, so I spritzed a tiny bit of water on it and scrunched it like I was told to and it worked for like an hour.

Now it seems like it's almost straight. Is there any possibility that it's just weighed down right now and will spring back up after I shower (after 72 hours)? Or is it a lost cause if it's falling this straight right now?

Answers

Home or professional perm? Home, call the company that made the product and get their feedback. Pro, call and ask the stylist or owner for guidance and possibly help. The customer should always be happy and get a resolution from whomever did the work. Post back what you learn!

Go back to the place where you got the perm. They should fix it for free, or refund your money.

If you had your perm done in a professional salon then I would advise you to go in and show the results of how it has turned out after just a few hours, it would seem that your perm did not "take" either ask for your money to be refunded or if you want to take a chance, ask for it to be done again.

Good luck !!

I got it from my regular hairdresser whom I've been using for about 4 hours. It's really just one part that's pretty much fully straight now, except the roots are still curly, the ends are just straight. The rest is still pretty curly, I think; it's hard to tell because it's so messy. Unfortunately the straighter part is right in the front I'm out of town, so I can't go back to the salon to show her for about a week, but I'm sure she would redo it for me. I'm still crossing my fingers that it turns out okay after I shower and style it.

Sorry, I meant 4 years, not 4 hours XD

I would document and take photos of your hair and go back to the salon to let them know the perm did not stay after 24 hours. And I am sure after showering, it probably won't be curled either.