Keeping a House Organized While Renovating

My hubby and I have inherited his grandmother's house. It is a lovely house, rather small but manageable. However, each and every room needs to be reconstructed then remodeled, from the floors being torn up to the ceilings being reconstructed in each room. Since we can't do this all at once, we are having to do this a little at a time.

What advice do you have for keeping the house clean and organized? We have no pantries or no closets. I do have some plastic shelves I've purchased along with totes. So everything is "out in the open" for the most part.

If this were you and your situation, how would you deal with this on a daily basis to try and keep your house manageable and clean? I haven't pulled out my hair just yet, but I did find a few grays. Thanks for any advice in advance!

By HICKCHIC3 from SC

We are almost finished remodeling my daughter's bedroom and bathroom. We moved EVERYTHING out and into two rooms since we really didn't have enough space in one room for all her things, leaving enough room to move around the house pretty much as we did before.

The thing that helped me keep my sanity was to accept very early on that I couldn't do much to keep up with the drywall dust. Sweeping the floors daily and making sure my kitchen was clean was really about all I could do. Otherwise I made sure the guys doing the work cleaned up their trash every day and either hauled it off or placed it neatly outside in the carport. Remodeling is simply messy and there is a limit to what you can do to keep your home clean while it's happening.

Hang in there, the end result will be well worth it!

First of all Congratulations on your new home! I would definitely get some plastic tarps and try to block off the rooms that are being worked on to minimize the dust. The drywall dust is a nightmare. It will get on everything! You may want to even cover your main walkways, just for protection.

Fans in the windows, sucking out the dust/odors will also help. Good luck!

If you have one central place to store most of the items, that is best. Otherwise, keep them as neat as possible and don't be afraid to throw a sheet over the boxes to hide them from view. Whatever gets you through. Sounds like a great project, though. Take pictures as you go, as you'll quickly forget the "old."

Is there one room that you can use as as dressing room/ storage facility as you renovate the other room(s)? You would then have fewer things to move around as you renovate each room. Move the store room as needed. Look on google for "remodeling small houses'. I know it's there because I've used it but can't remember the name. Good luck, and also remember that summer is probably the best time to do the kitchen because you can grill/eat outdoors without the cold weather making it even more of a pain.

Organizing AdviceMay 20, 2009
Someone dusting the corner of a room with a duster.
Keeping Your House Dusted
baby sleeping by grass
Setting Up a Green Nursery
Renovating Your Kitchen on Budget, Red tool box full of tools.
Renovating Your Kitchen on Budget
A man and woman in their RV.
Renovating a Motorhome
🎄