Blue Jay

contest winner icon

After a recent heavy snow, food was scarce and our feeder was the only game in town. The mornings are filled with blue jays, up to nine at a time sharing the feeder! I snapped this shot from my kitchen window and am delighted with the results.

One jay in focus that has decided to throw its food (good for the little birds on the ground) while another jay is coming in for a landing. It never fails to surprise me how nature is never wasteful; one's thrown and discarded food quickly becomes another's meal.

By Diana

Your photography is wonderful! Love seeing the blue jay coming in for a landing. I've been feeding the birds for many years and blue jays are one of my favorites, too. The one on the feeder is doing what's called "whisking" through the seeds to see if he can find something he'd like to eat. It looks like you've got millet and cracked corn, and the jays would really like to find some peanuts or black oil sunflower seeds, which are high in fat and help the birds survive in harsh weather. Actually, most birds love the black oil sunflower seeds and if you want cardinals coming regularly this is the seed to have ;-) I love that people are sharing and feeding the birds even in these tough times. God bless you for doing this!

Reply Like this photo? Yes
Anonymous

Wonderful photo! :-)

Reply Like this photo? Yes

I'm agreeing with BMD. Cardinals also like a type of thistle seed called Nyjer (Niger). We always used a combination of seeds including the cracked corn. Little ground-feeding doves are like chickens and love to scratch on the ground fo their food.

Feeding our wild birds is a year-around pleasure these days for all except those people living near enough to wild growth which provides sufficient seeds and varieties of dried berries etc to feed them even during the winter months. Good clean fresh water is most important of all for every wild bird year around.

Thanks for sharing a really great photo.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Fantastic photo! Thank you for sharing!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Beautiful! I have seen the doves at the bottom of the feeders and love it.

Reply Like this photo? Yes