Blue Jay Information and Photos

Category Wildlife
These north american native birds often appear in the yard and garden. This guide contains blue jay information and photos.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

After a recent heavy snow, food was scarce and our feeder was the only game in town. The mornings are filled with blue jays, up to nine at a time sharing the feeder! I snapped this shot from my kitchen window and am delighted with the results.

One jay in focus that has decided to throw its food (good for the little birds on the ground) while another jay is coming in for a landing. It never fails to surprise me how nature is never wasteful; one's thrown and discarded food quickly becomes another's meal.

By Diana

Blue Jay

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 40

Blue versus Gold! I had just put out some bird seed and this is the rush to get to it! Blue Jay verses Evening Grosbeak couple.

Comment Like this photo? 10

I found these plans to make a squirrel feeder using some scrap wood in the shed and a pickle jar, and put it on our porch. You'd be amazed by how many blue jays we have had to release out of the bottle.

By Lesa D.

Jay in a Jar

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 2

A close friend made this bird house. It is frequented by this darling little Blue Jay.

By Robyn Fed from Tri-Cities, TN

Blue Jay (Roan Mountain, TN)

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 3

For past few years I've been putting out birdseed and bread for a large variety of birds, chipmunks, and squirrels.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 7

Don't forget that even if it's cold, beauty will be there...

Blue Jay

Comment Like this photo? Yes

A Bluejay about to take flight after snatching a peanut I put out for the squirrels.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? Yes

I took this picture while fishing at Ft. Loudon Historical State Park in Vonore, TN. This little Blue Jay decided it was his snack time and took off with a piece of cubed cheese from our table.

By lovingnature

Answers:

Wildlife: Blue Jay

I love the Blue Jays. Many people think they are bully birds or greedy, but on the contrary, they earn the right to eat first. They are the "sentinels" of the forest and watch out for everyone else.

The other birds are really glad to allow them to eat first even though once in a while we can see what appears to be small confrontations. Usually caused by an immature male bird of another type.

I once watched a female cardinal challenge a jay and the jay gave way. He allowed her to get food at the platform feeder ahead of him. I'm sure she must have told him that she had little ones waiting for her to bring their food. He stepped aside and she took the food, flew away and then he ate.

I've seen jays do some very clever tricks too like hiding food behind cans etc...then fill up their beaks again, leave with what was in their beaks and wait until all the food was gone before going to that he'd hidden.

Just amazing. If you put out a bunch of peanuts in the shells, they will choose the peanut with the most peanuts in it. Every time, they'll choose the biggest peanut and they'll put one down and take another if they see one that's larger or has three peanuts instead of two.

They can be pretty fierce when necessary, and take their jobs of guarding and watching very seriously. They can be so comical too. A great all-around beautiful little bird.

Excellent picture. Thank you for sharing.
(06/15/2010)

By Julia

Wildlife: Blue Jay

What a cute picture! :-) (06/16/2010)

By Ann

Wildlife: Blue Jay

I like them. I agree with all Julia has said. (08/13/2010)

By Grayce Pedulla Dillon

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes