Cardinal Information and Photos

The Northern Cardinal or Redbird is a popular visitor at birdfeeders in the eastern United States. Their range also extends into southeastern Canada, and south into Mexico and Belize. This is a page about Cardinal information and photos.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this page.

I was already taking pictures of this lovely female cardinal when the downy woodpecker came in. He nipped her tail a little, hence the indignant attitude!

Cardinal and Woodpecker

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 30

It was an icy January morning in 2011, and I was snapping photos of the birds in our back yard here in north central Louisiana. I do this often from our back deck, it is like therapy for me! I was so happy to capture this fella's pose that day.

By Rita

Cardinal in Frozen Tree

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 32

Red cardinals are so pretty to look at in the snow in the winter. They decorate many calendars and Christmas cards, which is understandable. I hang my feeder close to the kitchen window, which gives me a meal time view of them. They seem to keep the same hours as I do to eat. Enjoy.

By Barb

Red Cardinals in the Snow

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 25

This bird appeared at my feeder last year and I never could get a good look at it. It was bright red, almost orange, it 'glowed', it was so beautiful. It looked like a cardinal, but something was just not right. There were no black markings around the face and it was not the right color red.

Cardinal

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 11

I happened to look out my kitchen window yesterday, and saw this beautiful cardinal sitting there posing for me!

Cardinal perched on tree branch.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 63

This was taken off my pool deck in my backyard. My husband was able to capture the wonderful moment of the baby cardinals in their nest waiting for their mom to come back with some food.

Baby Cardinals

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 17

This bird was right outside my window, just sitting there. So I grabbed my camera and started snapping photos. I got about five or six shots before he flew away!

Red cardinal bird in a rhododendron bush.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 9

This cardinal sits in the forsythia bush every day as though he's posing for me. Sometimes he brings the Mrs., but she is very shy and stays in the background.

Cardinal in the snow

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 7

I captured this photo with my cell phone looking through our French doors outside one morning as this cardinal was just coming off one of our log feeders and was in flight with its wings wide open. I was truly amazed that I captured the shot with my cell phone.

Cardinal in flight near feeders.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 3

The tranquility of the snow falling as a beautiful pair of cardinals rest on the bird feeder, was a picture I couldn't resist taking. :)

Pair of cardinals on bird feeder in the snow.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 4

Mr. and Mrs. Cardinal stopped off at my feeder here for a rare appearance together. They are usually separate eating while one watches. This time they were brave enough to be together

Cardinals

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 4

This beautiful snowy day brought some special visitors, a couple of cardinals sharing a meal and an adventure! There is also another bird that looks like it might be a woodpecker, and several other varieties of beautiful creatures, all having a nice winter meal!

Cardinals

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 5

It took a bit of editing to get this fella to this point of visibility. But, he actually was sitting there, wide awake, way past his bed time.

I wonder what was going on. Maybe the missus was having another migraine?

Cardinal or Night Owl? - cardinal on a fence

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 1

I saw my first cardinal this year, when we put out our grandson's new birdhouse. A beautiful sight to behold! Maybe the red birdhouse may bring more cardinals to our yard. My grandson sure hopes so.

photo of Foggy Day

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 2

The northern cardinal, also know as a redbird or common cardinal is easily recognizable. The male sports a distinctive crest along with its brilliant red plumage.

This is a page about the northern cardinal.

Northern Cardinal bird in a snow storm.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 1

I took this photo from the window where I sit with my laptop every morning. This cardinal entertained me by sitting at the feeder for about 10 minutes! He just sat there looking in at me for so long, I just had to share.

By Robbie

Wildlife: Cardinal

Answers:

Wildlife: Cardinal

Awesome! I love Cardinals. I have a bird feeder outside my kitchen window and a shelf where my cats can sit and watch the birds too. They keep us all entertained. (02/16/2011)

By Janus

This red bird does not seem to know that spring and summer are gone because it still enjoys the same branches it did when they were pretty and green. It was such a delight to look out my window, and see this breath of beauty in the cold dreary months of winter.

By Lula F.

Editor's Note: The bird in the photo is a cardinal

Wildlife: Cardinal

Wildlife: Cardinal

This photo is a bit blurry, it was far up in a tree and I was worried about it flying away, but it still amazes me!

By Sonia

Wildlife: Cardinal

Answers:

Wildlife: Cardinal

What great contrast between the cardinal and the sky. Great job! (01/06/2011)

By Beth

Cardinal having a snack at the bird feeder.

By lovingnature

Wildlife: Cardinal

Answers:

Wildlife: Cardinal

What a beautiful picture! we don't have cardinals here in the Pacific NW; I enjoy seeing the beauty of them! Thanks for sharing! (09/27/2010)

By katrina

I followed, and finally saw the elusive cardinal in our backyard! He was very hard to get any pictures of, he was feeding his young who were in the maple tree.

A couple of cardinals at our home.

This was taken in our yard. The wind blew down the feeder and my favorite cardinal and his mate had fun eating out of the bird feeder on the ground.

This is my Red Cardinal that stays in our old shed out back. He comes back every year in the winter.

Home and Garden Gardening Birds & Bird HousesJune 18, 2013
🎄
🎉

Generated 2019-12-16 17:01:56 in 3 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️