Tar Stain on Carpet

My landlords installed very short and cheap tan carpeting in this house. My sister tracked tar across it. I've tried to snip it out - but the carpeting is too short to snip. I'm afraid of using an iron on it (to heat it up and remove with wax paper) because I'm afraid it'll melt. Any suggestions? I have the bulk of it up, but it has left brown stains (mistaken for pet stains) near my front door.

Elisa from Ferndale, MI

Try GOO GONE (can be found at Walmart)

I don't know if it will work on carpet, but it takes tar off of skin with minimal rubbing and little to no smell.

My daughter got beach tar off her feet with mineral oil. Myself, I'd go look for a little throw rug to cover the spot with! ( :

Hi, Google Eucalyptus Oil. It has removed tar from my friends car deco & is renowned for removing greasy spots from carpet. It is available in Australia in a spray as well as a bottle; if the spray is not readily available. Your best option would be to dab the oil on with a clean white cloth.

One time years ago, my daughter got tar on her bathing suit at the beach. My husband brought me some carborator spray that cleans the carborator and told me it would remove it and I just used a little and it worked great. It didn't harm the fabric either.

I like the idea of the carb cleaner and the mineral oil.

There is stuff called "AWESOME" degreaser. Its in a clear spray bottle and is yellow in color. This is great for getting lots of grease-type stains out of nearly everything. You can find it in some Walmarts but I get mine in the dollar store - Dollar Tree has it too.

So try my suggestion last. Once the goopy tar has been removed and if you are still left with a stain, try Resolve carpet cleaner. Stuff is amazing and has removed wine stains, etc from my carpet w/o changing color.

I removed tar and stains from my brand new carpet with talc or baby powder. Repeat as many times as it takes but it will go.

Try folex/follow directions on label. Also, I have heard that WD40 works on tar on cars, may work for carpet. But I like folex, it takes out old, new or just about any kind of stain on carpets.

January 13, 2009 Flag

How do I remove tar or similar black substance from carpet? It's from a shoe, not 100% sure it's tar.

Victoria from NSW, Australia

Tar Stain on Carpet

If the stain is not too deep I would carefully trim off the stained tips of the carpet with scissors and discard them. If the carpet is a sculpted kind that should be sufficient. However if it is a level pile kind, and the stain is small and in a not too conspicuous spot, then I would trim an equal amount of unstained carpet fibers from a hidden area of the carpet, such as under a piece of furniture that you likely won't move, or in a corner, and apply a bit of carpet or fabric glue to the spot (it's important to use one of these two types of glue b/c they are permanent when set and will not shed or come apart when cleaning) and evenly sprinkle the clean clippings onto the glue and brush with a stiff bristle brush to mimic the carpet pile. At least the color will match and the spot will be less noticeable.

For larger areas, you will need to see if you have any scrap carpet remnants lying around (if you are a renter check with the landlord and tell him/her you're just looking for something to make a matching door mat out of). You will have to cut out the stained piece of the carpet and then cut an identical patch from the remnant and glue it in with carpet glue. Done correctly, it will be indistinguishable from the rest of the carpet. (03/15/2007)

By debbie in SC

Tar Stain on Carpet

Acetone will remove just about anything there is. Test it first of course. (03/16/2007)

By eliphaz

Home and Garden Cleaning CarpetJanuary 13, 2009
Coffee Stain on Carpet
Removing a Coffee Stain from Carpet
Photo of spring cleaning supplies.
Cleaning Tar Off Vinyl
Removing Pine Tar from Baseball Pants. Baseball Player with Bat on White Background
Removing Pine Tar from Baseball Pants
Removing Tar from Clothing, Removing Tar from Upholstery, Removing Tar from Aluminum Siding
Removing Tar from Aluminum Siding