Saving Water in a Multi Level Home

If you live in a multi-story home and your hot water heater is in the attic, you know how long it can take to get hot water to run in the kitchen sink before starting the dishwasher (which is the manufacturer's recommendation, presumably done so that the hot water completely dissolves the automatic dishwasher detergent).

I found a solution to running all that hot water, short of installing tankless water heaters on two floors! I used to fill plastic milk jugs with the water, and I would have to run at least one gallon and sometimes 1.5 gallons before the water would run hot. I'd also forget to do something constructive with the water when I was done (such as pour it into the washing machine while filling for a wash cycle).

Our washing machine is on the first floor, our kitchen is on the second, and the hot water heater is in the attic. I started filling the washer on warm wash setting. By the time it filled completely, hot water was available fairly quickly from the tap in the kitchen! And, I could wash whatever laundry I wanted in the cool-ish water in the washing machine!

Source: I couldn't believe that I actually thought of this!

By gapotter from Raleigh, NC

Good thinking! Great idea!

dripping faucet
Saving Money on Your Water Bill
Better Living Green Living Conservation WaterMarch 10, 2010
Boosting Your Energy Level
Boosting Your Energy Level
Well water running a in a sink.
Removing Rust from Well Water
Water Softener
Buying a Water Softener
Woman Multi-Tasking at Home
Multi-Tasking at Home
🎉
🎄