Recipes For Fresh Apricots

My elderly neighbor has a tree loaded with quickly ripening apricots. Does anyone have a few simple recipes (perhaps for jam or baked goods ?) to share that I can make up for him? I know he'd appreciate it, as he is unable to get out there and pick them himself before they ripen and fall on the ground. This way he'll have some goodies to freeze or refrigerate and be able to enjoy the fruit much longer. Thanks for your ideas!

Donna from San Diego

I had this problem two years ago. I borrowed cooky sheets, dipped the halves of the apricots in Stay-Fresh (vitamin C powder, to keep color nice) and then laid them all on the sheets. I put them all into the front of my truck with the windows down an inch, and they dried in one afternoon. Then I filled baggies with them. Saves on freezer space. Wonderful flavor!

Buy a carton of CERTO pectin and follow the directions in regards to Apricot Jam. It is very good and easy to make. I paid big bucks last year for apricots....envy you having a neighbor w. a tree full of them....Jam will keep for years.

The jam idea is a good, easy one. Also, you might consider making apricot cobbler. Look in a cookbook or online for a recipe. It takes quite a few apricots ;-) and you can make up pans to put in the freezer to bake later.

I've made apricot fruit spread. Just pit and toss in a blender with a little lemon juice (to keep from darkening) and some water, and puree. Pour into a pan and cook down until thick, pour into jars, and process in a hot water bath. It's easier to make and healthier than jam since there's no sugar added. If you don't can, pour into containers and freeze. If you just add more water and don't cook it down much, you get a good tasting nectar/juice. I often make this with apricots or peaches --YUM. Apricot puree can be poured into lined sheets and dried for fruit leather. Dried apricots, that someone has already mentioned, are wonderful too. Apricots are easy to can, since you don't have to peel them; and again, if you don't can, you can put in containers and freeze them to eat later (just half, remove pit, stack in containers, and cover with a sugar-water syrup that is as sweet as you want.)

Old fashioned apricot jam recipe:

http://www.free-old-time-cooking-re ... erving/jams/apricot-jam-receipe.html

Food and Recipes Recipes FruitJuly 3, 2007
Jar of preserved apricots.
Canning Apricots
Apricots hanging on the tree.
Growing Apricots
An apricot cut in half.
Peeling Apricots
Fresh Apricots
Storing Fresh Apricots
🎄