Recycled Jeans Crafts

What can be made with old jeans?

By Jenn from Alberta

http://www.thri … 6984817.tip.html

Pictured are two potholders that I made from a pair of my husband's old jeans.

I cut the legs off two more pair of his jeans and will be able to make two kitchen hot mats.

Throw pillows, quilts. Every now and then I see pictures and directions for making purses out of old jeans. There is also a way to make skirts out of them. I have never tried it, but they are cute when done.

You can cut them off at the crotch and sew across the bottom and top, leave an opening for stuffing and use as a pillow for a teen's bed. You can take some fun appliques and paints etc and jazz it up too! Kids love to do this, just make sure you have a denim or canvas sewing needle for the sewing machine. Good luck:)

Make a skirt by cutting off the top of the jeans at hip-level. Sew some gathered fabric on for a jeans-yoked skirt. Add trim as desired.

Almost anything you can think of can be made from old denim jeans! I have made men's wallets, toilet seat cover, and tank lid, lawn chair covers, coasters, rugs, placemats, baby bibs that are reversible, cast iron frying pan handle pot holders, bar b-q aprons, book covers, purses. The list is almost endless. I am also making small stuffed dinosaurs and dachshunds (we have a dog like that) and gift bags.

To make anything crocheted, (like the purses and rugs I make) the denim must be cut into thin strips and sew the strips together, then rolled into balls. The denim can't be too worn, or the stitches won't hold and will break. Hats are handy to make from denim, since they are fairly easy to make a pattern for. Many patterns can be found for free online. I just make my own patterns. I am planning to make some chair pads for my kitchen soon, as I am in need of some. You can even make something like a table runner, that is quilted, if you are so inclined and have the time, or a wall hanging. Those rice filled microwaveable pads are also good or a cover for an ice pack. A draft dodger for in front of a door can be another item to make. I am also planning to make a bike seat cover for myself and my husband soon. My inspiration is often right under my own nose! :) A pic nic tablecloth is another project at the bottom of my projects 'to do' list. You can even make a Kleenex box cover, or small kitchen appliance covers, baby, toddler or children's clothing can be cheaply made, or something for an adult. I've even seen denim flip flops made and being sold on www.etsy.com! I think it depends on how much time you want to spend making the item and what skills you'd like to incorporate, like embroidery, quilting, applique, etc. on the craft. Happy creating! I hope some of these ideas helped stir the imagination a bit. Sometimes one idea for me leads to others I like even better!

I made great work aprons with pockets across the bottom. Great for yard work, housecleaning, etc.

Pat

Youth purse bag; patches for quilting; and scrap-book material.